Reaper Features

SimonT

Hi All!

Contemplating downloading the full Reaper demo and sussing things out but was wondering if people here wouldn't mind answering a few feature questions?

What I would want in a daw...

Does Reaper have:-

• An easy way to see what midi controller key you're pressing in it's piano roll or midi editor?
  • Muting / Unmuting of notes in it's piano roll or midi editor?
  • Chord painting or anything like FL Studio's Chord Painting in it's piano roll or midi editor?
  • A pitch correction tool like melodyne type thing, if so is it in monophonic or polyphonic?
  • Audio to midi conversion feature, again monophonic or polyphonic?
  • Quantizing of audio?
  • Calculating or detecting the tempo of imported audio?
  • Audiowarp or the ability to timestretch audio without it going chipmunky or very deep like Barry White?
  • A note/wordpad which is visible in the sequencer?
  • An Undo Events list, if so how many undo's and how much does it undo, everything or just destructive stuff?
  • Drag and drop?
  • A Browser to access files on your computer?
  • The ability to turn multiple faders down at once on it's mixer?
  • The ability to save mixer channel settings on a channel to load them in later?
  • I know it has time markers but can you stack them up like several at once so I stack them for song analysis purposes, might have several things altering at one time?
  • A Spectrum Analysis on it's EQ
  • An easy way to crossfade audio?
  • Does it display anywhere what key/chord you are pressing on your midi controller?
  • Plenty of colours to use, more than say 40?
  • Ghost copying in it's sequencer?
  • Is the automation easy to draw in manually?
  • Freezing of tracks?
  • Automatic Delay Compensation?
  • Is it easy to do sidechain compression?
  • Is it easy to do gating?
  • A Vectorscope?
  • Decent metering (multimeter / line meter)?
  • Does it work in the correct measurements like dB for volume & hZ for frequency & also for automation?

Instruments

• Does it have a drum machine?
  • Does it have a granular synth?
Thanks!

Last edited:
An easy way to see what midi controller key you're pressing in it's piano roll or midi editor? yes
Muting / Unmuting of notes in it's piano roll or midi editor? not sure
Chord painting or anything like FL Studio's Chord Painting in it's piano roll or midi editor? no
A pitch correction tool like melodyne type thing, if so is it in monophonic or polyphonic? yes - REAtune
Audio to midi conversion feature, again monophonic or polyphonic? I think so but I've never used it
Quantizing of audio? yes
Calculating or detecting the tempo of imported audio? not sure, always done it the old fashioned way anyway
Audiowarp or the ability to timestretch audio without it going chipmunky or very deep like Barry White? as good as any other DAW
A note/wordpad which is visible in the sequencer? Probably but I've never used it
An Undo Events list, if so how many undo's and how much does it undo, everything or just destructive stuff? Yes, lots, not sure never used it
Drag and drop? yes
A Browser to access files on your computer? no but you can drag/drop them in from windows explorer etc
The ability to turn multiple faders down at once on it's mixer? Not sure, never wanted or needed that
The ability to save mixer channel settings on a channel to load them in later? Not sure, never wanted or needed that
I know it has time markers but can you stack them up like several at once so I stack them for song analysis purposes, might have several things altering at one time? Don't know
A Spectrum Analysis on it's EQ Yes
An easy way to crossfade audio? The easiest-drag the two samples over each other
Does it display anywhere what key/chord you are pressing on your midi controller? Don't know, I don't use a MIDI controller
Plenty of colours to use, more than say 40? Yes
Ghost copying in it's sequencer? Don't know what this is
Is the automation easy to draw in manually? Yes once you know how
Freezing of tracks? yes
Automatic Delay Compensation? Probably, don't have a MIDI controller so don't know
Is it easy to do sidechain compression? Yes, routing is great
Is it easy to do gating? Yes
A Vectorscope? Dunno what this is
Decent metering (multimeter / line meter)? Yes
Does it work in the correct measurements like dB for volume & hZ for frequency & also for automation? Yes, mostly for automation as well but not all

Drum machine - a barebones one
Granular synth - no. The whole point of REAPER is to use 3rd party plugins

Last edited:
Back