Programming Drums in Reason

noequalrecords

So I just got back into making beats, but I used to use Reason 3.0 and now I'm using 5.0..

Back in Reason 3.0 I could program different drum patterns and draw them in with the pencil and it would change to the pattern once it came up (so I'd have A1,A2,A3, etc, and just draw them in).

I've done this process in Reason 5.0, but when it's supposed to switch from A1 to A2 it doesn't...

Is there something else I have to do here? Thanks a lot for any help.

Yup it's enabled. I have no idea what it could be. You would think it should be as simple as drawing in each pattern and then it should switch from one to the other, but it just doesn't.

two further questions

1) you are using a pattern lane?
2) you have the pattern lane turned on?

and then you also have the pattern button enabled in redrum?

Thanks! I think I'm finally starting to figure it out. I had everything enabled but it seems like I may have been doing something else wrong.

My only issue now is that I can't seem to "draw in" a different pattern at a half measure, if that makes sense?

So I have A2 and I want it to end at 20 1/2 and have A1 come back in, but it will only let me draw it in at either 20 or at 21, but not 20 1/2.

If you can help with this also I would really appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

I'm also not sure what I would need "Blocks" for or what they even do..

It must be some time since you last used any version of reason:

To get a beat level cut you need to set the global cut level as such. Next to the edit tools there is the word Snap with a checkbox and a drop-down menu with the the global granularity for cutting: at the moment it is probably set at bar. click-hold and select your required cut-level.

Blocks are a way of creating patterns that can be used again and again without having to copy them. It is a very old idea in computer based sequencing, one that was used a lot to save memory in early days (I started sequencing with only 1mb of ram, though I know there were those who used only 512kb - I later graduated to 2mb and 20mb hard-drive).

You can use or not use them. If you choose not to, make sure to switch them off (they carry a small processing overhead when on even if not used).

NOW to the crux of the beast - rtfm ,man; if you were to rtfm, you would solve these problems in almost no time

Last edited:
Wow thanks so much, that works.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it was much easier in Reason 3.0 to just draw it in wherever you want, no? Instead of having to change the "Snap"...

Get back to reason 3.0 and fix those half measures creating a new pattern with the musical content you want, when you finish that "Convert pattern track to notes" and then upgrade again to Reason 5. Trust me, dont waste your time. This change was a bad decision of Propellerheads just good for stuttering efect. I had the same trouble when I upgraded. Good Luck

Back