Producing software

Ok so since you're probably looking for a quick answer, I'll say what most ppl say, that FL Studio has a good "beginner friendly" UI. However it's Windows only (for now at least). To get better recommendations, tell us this:

- operating system?
- your prior producing experience?
- budget?
- style of music you want to produce?

It's a bit of a read but I think this DAW comparison will help you.

Honestly, I was using Ableton originally, switched to FL Studio, and then I ended up back with Ableton. Reason being, Ableton seemed easier and had more options. FL Studio has a little better beginner drums, but that's just me. I'm still new as well. :)

Ideally the one that will suit your needs in the future, I mean it's a bit like asking what's the best book to start out with, sure the very hungry caterpillar is cool but one day you might want something a bit more advanced......most noobs go with FL Studio because they don't have a MIDI controller and it's probably the best for drawing in notes with the mouse, of course in comparison using something like Cubase with a midi controller kicks Toucan Sam's Fruity ass but it's also not exactly cheap. Now I know it might seem counter-intuitive but I would recommend you look around for a MIDI controller first and see if you can exploit any upgrade paths on bundled software, like say the hardware comes with some light version of Reason or Live etc, you want to look into whether you can save some cash by upgrading rather than buying full software at the full price and then deciding that you need a MIDI controller.....you got to do your own homework though because it's been a while since I exploited any upgrade paths.

Last edited:
Depends on what you want to achieve. For electronic music maybe Ableton would be a good idea, because you have a lot of plugins, routing options and all you need to get startet right away. For producing to me the workflow doesn't seem to be the best. So for making beets and stuff like that it's the best way to go. Otherwise I would suggest ProTools, Cubase, Logic or any DAW thats more suitable for producing.

FL Studio is easily the best for starting out. Its for advanced users to, Fruity loops has come along way since FL Studio 3 lol.

Long time ago I started with Reason, after that Ableton, after that Cubase. I have to admit I stuck to the Cubase. Ableton was cool tho, not sure what lured me into mastering Cubase. Probably the fact that I've seen pro's using them (year 2010 or so) in that time and I wanted to know the best program. 6 years later and in 2017 Cubase seems to took a lot of bad turns. Right now I see many pro's using FL and Ableton.

FL studio has come a long way since 2010. I'm still a dedicated Cubase and never stuck with FL, I didn't like it's work flow but now it's a lot more like Cubase.

It all depends on you, but I would say most beginners like FL Studio because it's interface is simple to learn and you can get to making beats/instrumentals quickly.

Back