Problem with 'locked' velocity in Logic Pro X

AleksZen

Hi everyone, hope you're well? I'm currently experiencing a problem with Logic Pro X, i'm not sure if its a bug or just an option which hasn't been selected as my other projects seem to be fine, but here goes... I'm amidst programming some Trap type hi hats, and when I change the velocity of the hi-hats so as to roll a lot more smoothly, ie 1 hi hat velocity is 40, the next 50, the next 60 etc there seems to be no change in it what so ever, so the volume / level of each hi hats is basically the same, but changing the velocity should alter it. I have no idea why this is because it hasn't done it in my other projects, does anyone have any idea what's going on? Cheers, Al

Last edited:
The problem is that the software that you have the hihat sample in is set to the maximum (or whatever between 0-127) volume. For example if you are using EXS24 there is the velocity button where you can change the velocity range. Drop it down to the middle and the volume changes that you have made in the piano roll will start to work. This also works if you want to record with a midi keyboard and only apply one selected volume or if you want it to determine the volume by how hard you are hitting your keys / pads. Ultrabeat is the same so check out the plugin's volume control.

some sample sets consist of a single sample for each instrument and so do not provide different level velocity samples

some sample playback units compensate for this by adjusting channel volume to make each sample seem to have different levels

however, this can be a problem when you have multiple samples (say drums or any instrument really) on the same channel being played at different velocities and overlapping in time - the sample player can't adjust individual levels without affecting notes already playing

Back