Is Pro Tools Worth It

D

dylanbriscall

Is learning Pro Tools worth it or is sticking with Ableton good enough

protools is more for recording, right? Ableton is more for mixing as far as I know. It depends what you're trying to do.

Yea I've heard that before as well. But definitely more recording.

whats good enough?

There are so many DAWs and if you dont have a clear benefit in mind that would make it worth to switch i would say stick with what you got.

I'm ableton user too, and for me i made the decision to stick with it for the simple fact that i want to make music and i rather learn music/instrument/theory/principles then another piece of software. As far as i can see it ableton is a complete DAW wich is capable of getting all the jobs in music production done.

having that said i also want to check out PT one day :) - because i heard its industry standard i would like to know at least basic functionality and take a look on the mastering tools there.

Pro Tools is the industry standard. The majority of recording facilities, especially major ones, have their setups routed through pro tools. It is used for recording and mixing, pre vs post production. Ableton is a production DAW. Great for composing tracks and ideas. It is great for mixing too, however generally if you send of a session to someone else to get mixed, you will send the PT session or the track outs of the song.

That being said, it cannot hurt to learn it. If you want to produce and do some general mixing inside Ableton, then great. I won't say PT sounds better than Ableton, thats preference and the ability to mix well.

Noah "40" Shebib built a recording studio in Toronto structured entirely around NI. So the progress of using other production based DAWs as the main hub is growing. Pro Tools is still the industry standard.

When you get used to it Pro Tools is super fast and intuitive not to mention that it has some plugins that have a very unique sound like the Sansamp PSA, Lo-Fi and Vari-Fi for example. The stock compressor has been my go to compressor for 10 years and I've tried all the famous ones.

When you get used to it Pro Tools is super fast and intuitive not to mention that it has some plugins that have a very unique sound like the Sansamp PSA, Lo-Fi and Vari-Fi for example. The stock compressor has been my go to compressor for 10 years and I've tried all the famous ones.

I have to disagree with you about Pro Tools. I have used PT since PT4 all the way up to PT9 and moved on to Logic Pro 9 then Logic Pro X. PT is behind the game now and it will end up being FL, Ableton Live, and Logic Pro X. PT use to be the go-to DAW for the longest and lost that title a long time ago IMO.

Industry Standard = found in most recording studios around the world = Pro tools period full stop.

Here's the deal, Pro tools was developed to capture live performances and is aimed at musicians who have the ability to play as an ensemble. So if you want to record a band / orchestra most recording studios in the US use pro tools. If you don't play an instrument and need to paste samples or manipulate midi, Pro Tools can handle that as well, but other DAWs may offer more user friendly tools for that, But you still can't go wrong learning Pro Tools especially if you want to market and or use your skills in other recording facilities.

Last edited:
It won't give you anything you don't already have. In fact in general PT is behind the times when compared to something like Logic or Cubase. Only get it if you want to work in a pro studio eventually. Even then, many modern smaller studios will just use their preference.

Back