Is Pro Tools worth it?

ls2013

Here is my predicament:
I own an imac with Mavericks installed and I use Logic Pro as my main DAW. I usually use it to compose using virtual instruments but I have never used to to record.
I just bought an Avid audio interface that came with Pro Tools Express for free.
Now the problem is that both the audio interface and Pro Tools are incompatible with Mavericks. I have Mountain Lion installed on a different partition and they both work perfectly on there.
My question is should I keep Pro Tools on the 2nd partition and use it to record, mix, and master, whilst keeping Logic on my main partition for composing?
Or should I return the interface and buy a new one that is compatible with Logic and use Logic to do everything?

what do you know better? Its all preference..there isn't really anything in this question that anyone can answer for you. Yes its worth it..but you dont need it. And its only worth it if you know how to use it.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer Logic over Pro Tools when it comes to music production. IMO, Pro Tools is cool for tracking and doing sound for a movie.

Personally, I prefer Logic over Pro Tools when it comes to music production. IMO, Pro Tools is cool for tracking and doing sound for a movie.

why don't you just install Logic on the Partition(Mountain Lion or whatever) that the audio interface works on...
I'm sure Logic should work on there

Return your interface for another and use Logic. Protools express has limitations compared to the full version like tracking, logic doesn't. Logic's fully compatible with macs, Protools isn't. To me its a no brainer. Just developed better record/mix workflow with Logic. If I didn't have the time to learn another DAW Logic would be what Id go for (especially if I owned a Mac). Its midi capabilities run rings around Protools.

I hear more and more about people in other countries returning stuff to the store because they didn't like it. If we tried that in this country, they'd laugh at us. So you're lucky.

Return your interface for another and use Logic. Protools express has limitations compared to the full version like tracking, logic doesn't. Logic's fully compatible with macs, Protools isn't. To me its a no brainer. Just developed better record/mix workflow with Logic. If I didn't have the time to learn another DAW Logic would be what Id go for (especially if I owned a Mac). Its midi capabilities run rings around Protools.

I hear more and more about people in other countries returning stuff to the store because they didn't like it. If we tried that in this country, they'd laugh at us. So you're lucky.

Didnt realize till now OP was only talking about Pro Tools EXPRESS..yah thats a no brainer then. And what do you mean Pro Tools isn't fully compatible with mac? Didnt it start on macs? As in ONLY compatible with macs?

The popularity of Pro Tools is based upon expensive DSP hardware that once did and still does do all the heavy lifting for computers such as the Apple Mac, as such many people are under the false assumption that both Pro Tools and Macs are superior when it comes to native processing which is a whole other kettle of fish.

Logic has had a strong focus on native processing for far longer than Pro Tools and Logic goes even further back as a MIDI sequencer.....in fact Logic is almost as good as Cubase. :p

Back