Pro Tools vs Studio One

kingmars

:bigeyes:Ill be the one to start this thread, only because I want to see all the pro's and Cons of each. Ill be using either one for audio recording, and manipulation.

What are the Biggest Pros and Cons for each?

BEGIN!:hello:

I have never used Pro Tools before, but I do use Studio One, and the workflow in that DAW is amazing. It's easy to use and to add effects etc.. nice drag and drop features.
For me personally I think it lacks good chopping features, but then again you can say that about allot of DAWS.

Last edited:
I have never used Pro Tools before, but I do use Studio One, and the workflow in that DAW is amazing. It's easy to use and to add effects etc.. nice drag and drop features.
For me personally I think it lacks good chopping features, but then again you can say that about allot of DAWS.

What kind of chopping do you mean?

I'm new the daws but I started with abelton which I thought was retarded and simplistic at the same time.... If that makes any sense. I'm using pro tools now and yes it is complicated but it makes sense. The flow is great. The plugins that come with it sound great. In impressed.... buta lot more to discover..... Point is you have to try for yourself.

Sorry!
U mean u make your beats in FL & then import to either Pro tools or Studio one for recording vocals? If so why cant u just do it in the same Daw to make the job easy! I have never used Studio one but the question is can you make beats in it?

I use ableton and the audio manipulation as far as vocals go and the tracking within itself is unmatched to either of those two. but I love ableton as a creation tool and I'm sure to stick with it as a software to make the music. maybe Live X will bring it all together! but for now... it's one of those two which I consider to be the main two for my tastes

IMO, Pro Tools has Studio One beat in every dept. for RECORDING AND MIXING. It falls short for in the box production, but with live instruments still PT hands down. But the biggest problem with PT is that it tends to NOT WORK. I haven't seen PT on my studio computer since upgrading to OSX Mavericks. I have to mixdown people's PT projects sent to me from a laptop now. This entire ordeal has also shown me that a $100 Presonus Audiobox I bought as a temp fix sounds just as good as my $500 M-Box2.

As good of a product Pro Tools is, I cannot support a company that doesn't care about it's customers. To UPGRADE to get my stuff working again(not my M-Box, but PT11 so I can run an interface of my choice)will cost me $399! I just went to the Propellerhead shop and invested in rack extentions and produce, mix, and master within Reason now. Making some of the best music of my life, just need a really good permanent interface, I doubt there will ever be an upgraded driver for my M-Box, I feel worst for people with more expensive digi/avid/maudio hardware that's "no longer supported".

Last edited:
^^^I agree with this statement as an FL advocate. FL is great for creating beats, but not the most easily used program for other processes in the creation of a finished song. Not saying it can't be done, not saying that all will prefer other options over it, just saying it's so unorthodox, no one's gonna be throwing away their copies of Sonar, Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, ect to make completed songs in FL.

IMO, Pro Tools has Studio One beat in every dept. for RECORDING AND MIXING. It falls short for in the box production, but with live instruments still PT hands down. But the biggest problem with PT is that it tends to NOT WORK. I haven't seen PT on my studio computer since upgrading to OSX Mavericks. I have to mixdown people's PT projects sent to me from a laptop now. This entire ordeal has also shown me that a $100 Presonus Audiobox I bought as a temp fix sounds just as good as my $500 M-Box2.

As good of a product Pro Tools is, I cannot support a company that doesn't care about it's customers. To UPGRADE to get my stuff working again(not my M-Box, but PT11 so I can run an interface of my choice)will cost me $399! I just went to the Propellerhead shop and invested in rack extentions and produce, mix, and master within Reason now. Making some of the best music of my life, just need a really good permanent interface, I doubt there will ever be an upgraded driver for my M-Box, I feel worst for people with more expensive digi/avid/maudio hardware that's "no longer supported".

Obsolescence is one of those inevitable pitfalls you are bound to run into when the functionality of software and hardware are tied to each other and require constant updates......which is why I never bothered with shit like the Roland Varios or TC PowerCore because they were obvious future paperweights..........MIDI hardware from 1986 no problems.

^^^I'd agree if this was such a case. Yet, the problem here lies in Avid/Digi/whoever not releasing updated DRIVERS! If I install OSX 10.8 My M-Box works. 10.9, it does not. My issue is, in the realm of apple computers, who's not keeping everything up to date? I'd rather my 2 Apple TV devices, iPads, macbook, and iphones all be on the same page with my studio computer(that now doubles as a family computer) than to have to stick to an older obsolete OS just to run Pro Tools LE 8. If Pro Tools 11 was IMO worth it, that would be a different story. I simply chose to invest in a program I felt wasx more deserving of my money. I've spent way more than $399(my PT upgrade cost)on REs in the last couple months. It's all about investing where you feel it's deserved.

Avid isn't gonna force me to upgrade by discontinuing support for what I used, they'll just lose a customer. Check out the comments on their facebook page. They made majority of their users VERY unhappy in an attempt to convince us it was time to move on to a newer version.

^^^Avid and Apple products are not exactly known for being the most future proof, I mean both companies have a reputation for corralling their customers into using their latest propitiatory tech by crippling backwards compatibility.

^^^Avid and Apple products are not exactly known for being the most future proof, I mean both companies have a reputation for corralling their customers into using their latest propitiatory tech by crippling backwards compatibility.

Agreed to an extent. Just lame when the companies known to always coexist stop. The rule used to be "wanna use Pro Tools? Get a Mac and you'll have no problem. If Avid can't stick to their guns on that...their product becomes inferior across the board. It's the reason programs like Sonar and Cubase overshadow PT in the PC world. I guess now Logic($199) will be the 'go to' for Mac users who aren't willing to dish out $400 for an upgrade.

Digidesign's hardware is what really elevated the Mac's popularity as a music computer both before the demise of Atari and after the rise of the Windows PC. Pro Tools has always been about the DSP hardware and without it all you have is a whole lot of Halo Effect which can then be used to ship shitty cut down native versions of Pro Tools tied to non-DSP hardware interfaces that are in fact just unnecessarily prohibitive dongles. Apple's popularity as a music computer is also tied to the Halo Effect of Digidesign/Avid's DSP hardware which does all the heavy lifting and thus doesn't really mean jack shit when using a DAW that uses native processing.

There is however a certain degree of self fulfilling prophecy which can occur due to the Hallo Effect...like if everyone uses Pro Tools due to the Halo Effect it makes sense to use it for the sake of compatibility....if everyone uses a Mac for Music then it makes sense to create music software to run on a Mac, this used to happen back in the 90's, for example Akai MESA was first released for the Mac and Windows users had to wait for their version....the funny thing is that Windows users can still use the old Windows version of MESA whereas Mac users don't have a hope in hell of using their old version......these days Mac users have to wait....like Steinberg used to release stuff for the Mac first such as VST then at some point it all changed and Mac users had to wait for their version of WaveLab.

Back