Pro Tools vs. Fl Studio Producers edition

austinerary

Hey guys. Im torn. I have Pro Tools mp9 and fl studio 9 producers edition. I feel like if I used Fl the creative process would be more fun and i could get my workflow to "flow" better. Also a lot of my favorite tracks have been created in Fl studio (im not sure if they used something else to finish it). But pro tools is the industry standard and if i want to get a beat placed im not sure if ill need to have a pro tools file. If I use the Fl stock plugins can i finish a whole production in Fl and still have it sound as proffesional if I had used pro tools stock plugins?

Hey guys. Im torn. I have Pro Tools mp9 and fl studio 9 producers edition. I feel like if I used Fl the creative process would be more fun and i could get my workflow to "flow" better. Also a lot of my favorite tracks have been created in Fl studio (im not sure if they used something else to finish it). But pro tools is the industry standard and if i want to get a beat placed im not sure if ill need to have a pro tools file. If I use the Fl stock plugins can i finish a whole production in Fl and still have it sound as proffesional if I had used pro tools stock plugins?

Simplest possible answer: "Yes".

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:

YES! they are both the same, pro tools looks more like a Microsoft document program and i think FL is much easier to use!!

track out your beats to pro tools
mix in Pro Tools
try it out

see which one you like for workflow as in mixing

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Me personally I've never used ProTools, but I have and do use FL Studio, in fact that's what most of my tracks are made in. FL Studio may seem like a "toy" to some users, but it really has grown up. I really love the step sequencer. It's awesome for laying out quick drum parts. Right now my setup is beginning to turn into Cubase is my main production environment and FL Studio will be where I produce my drums.

Some advice: you can simply rewire FL into PT. Otherwise make the beat in FL, bounce the project out as separate .wav files and import into PT. you then save the PT session file and you can zip it to save space. You then put it on an external HD or flash drive and take it to the studio. You can also email/FTP/dropbox it. If you are getting it professionally mixed/mastered or you got a major placement, make sure you turn off (bypass) the reverbs and delays you have going on in FL as you want the tracks to be as dry as possible for the engineer to use his far better FX like the lexicon reverb. As for PT, it is definitely a great DAW for composing, especially if you play guitar/bass. The amp sims in it are great, and Xpand2 is a very very sick sound module. Also i would definitely use it over FL for tracking vocals. FL has the step sequencer and real easy chopping so if you primarily sample or get inspired more throwing sounds together in there, then just keep doing what you are doing and don't sweat the "industry standard" stuff. hit boy, boi-1da, tminus, cardiak, Kane beatz, mike will, lex Luger, and plenty others have proven you can make huge charting smash hits in FL. If anything, those guys are dominating the charts as far as rap/hiphop placements go.

I love making beats in fl studio and then recording vocals in the project so i can go back and change parts of the beat and re mix and master and adjust levels easier... i find that I am actually more used to fl studio and can make stuff sound better than in pro tools because it is what i am used too

Me personally I've never used ProTools, but I have and do use FL Studio, in fact that's what most of my tracks are made in. FL Studio may seem like a "toy" to some users, but it really has grown up. I really love the step sequencer. It's awesome for laying out quick drum parts. Right now my setup is beginning to turn into Cubase is my main production environment and FL Studio will be where I produce my drums.

Simplest possible answer: "Yes".

"Protools is industry standard" -Wrong

Protools is industry Standard when you are running an HD system and have a Huge console

Pro Tools is the standard for post production in both film and music. When it comes to actually producing, use whatever you're comfortable with. If you're only concerned with making beats then it really doesn't matter what you use, but it's not debatable that FL Studio doesn't come close when it comes down to pure professional features.

I've never seen Hans Zimmer score a film with FL Studio. But if that's not your goal then I wouldn't worry about Pro Tools.

Last edited:
The "professional" aspect of your music has more to do with your abilities to mix than it does with what software you use. In fact... it has absolutely nothing to do with the software you're using.... (unless you're using a really REALLY inferior product like a Playstation 1 Ra-Rappa the Rapper-type program.

Vote - learn to mix. Once you know how to mix professionally you actually won't have to ask this question.

If you prefer to have a professional mix for you, find out what software you're using and track your beats into it so you can just send them the project file.

Your material sounding professional is determined by your mixing skills not the programs plugins. Or your willingness to allow some to mix your project that mixes for a living.

You just answered your own question by saying "a lot of my favorite tracks have been created in Fl studio" and yes you can use the default FL plugins to mix/master the track. A lot of people say Pro tools is industry standard and FL studio is not, but the fact is that A lot of the Songs that have been in the charts, in the top 10 also, have been produced in Fruity loops so as far as I am cncerned FL is also Industry standard. Its personal preference, if you can get the sound you like out of it use it!

Where I am, most studios are all about the pro-tools. Id really love to see some more FL as I personally like FL better.

I don't understand why people make comparisons? Use what you feel comfortable with, there is no right or wrong.

Where I am, most studios are all about the pro-tools. Id really love to see some more FL as I personally like FL better.

That will never happen ... Pro Tools is millions of years ahead of FL when it comes to actually recording, editing, mixing, and mastering.

Back