Pro Tools & FL Studio

tevans213

What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of Pro Tools & FL Studio?

From what ive been finding via google is that it's good to make beats on FL but do the mixing & mastering on Pro Tools. Can someone confirm this? And give a reason why.

Does Pro Tools come with VSTs?

Pro Tools has a more traditional DAW workflow and is very much a standard with people that has to mix big projects (50-200 tracks to pick a number) due to their excellent but expensive cards (HDX now).
FL Studio has somewhat of a special workflow derived from the early Fruityloops versions that was operated pretty much like a stepsequencer. FL has grown though into a complete DAW made lately fameous by house prodigy AVICII and many others. AVICHII still sticks with FL Studio. And he does it really well.
And yeah, a lot of people use PT for mixing while doing their creative work on a different DAW. But keep in mind that many of those has hardware accelration cards in their putters from AVID (PT maker) that makes PT a much better platform for mixing and end production. Protools also have great workflow for working specially on audio files wich most final mixes comes down to.
Suggestion; download them both and try them.

To help you further I have some questions.
How is your experience in music production?
What music are you about to make (or are you gonna mix others work)?
What is your budget?

If you are on a low budget and e.g. already owns a mac I would say nothing beats Logic in the bang for bucks-division.

Well, can tell you a lot more but need to know more about you, your goals, budget and plans.

Last edited:
I wanna do Hip Hop & Pop Beats. I do want to master other projects. Gotta agree with ya 110% about Logic....Ive done extensive research on it and decided I wanted to go with that but as of now I do not own a Mac. I have no problem with dropping a few hundred.

You are new to this, am I right?
Hard to tell, it depends on budget. A good entry point would be a used macbook pro (retina model). In fact; the remake currenty in my signature (Fast Car by Tayo Cruz Remake) was made on my pre.retina macbook pro. Took 77 tracks and thats totally on the edge of what the MacBook can do without starting freezing or bouncing every track to audio). But macs have a high second hand value so you might wanna stick to your PC; I take it you own one, and go with FL Studio.
As a golden rule I would stay away from ProTools (PT) for now. Many reasons but it will most often require a better PC to do the same track count as in e.g. FL Studio and PT will also cost you slightly more in the long run in plugins etc. Now I will get bombed for this statement hehe
To defend Pro Tools; it´s a fantastic mixing software but in the creative department there are so many better solutions like Ableton Live, Logic, FL Studio to name 3. I for one would stay away from Reason as it has it´s own plug in system. In fact I would stay away from FL Studio too as it has a diff workflow than what I am used to. I came from Cubase in 2007 and have been with Logic since. Despite the fact that it hasn't been updated in 2 years time I really love this software. Hopefully an update will come soon.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Good deal... Yes I am new.

My only concern is sound quality but I heard with the right plugins that it wouldnt be an issue with fl

Back