Preferred software / why (and a couple of opinions would be nice =)

BeatAuthority

Hey everyone,

First post on here. Very cool forum.

I was hoping to get some info from some veterans around.

What is your preferred beat making software and why?

I read some good things about Abelton and Fruity Loops on here so far. And some negative things about Dr. Drum and Dub Turbo.

Has anyone heard/used BTV Solo? I see it attached to a few DJs.

Look forward to your responses :-)

As far as I can tell, BTV solo is not a substitute for a proper DAW like ableton or FL studio.

Get a real DAW, play with it for a month or so then look at BTV solo again and decide if you still want it.

Hey everyone,

First post on here. Very cool forum.

I was hoping to get some info from some veterans around.

What is your preferred beat making software and why?

I read some good things about Abelton and Fruity Loops on here so far. And some negative things about Dr. Drum and Dub Turbo.

Has anyone heard/used BTV Solo? I see it attached to a few DJs.

Look forward to your responses :-)

daws to look at in no particular order
reaper
cubase
reason
Abelton
Fruity Loops
pro tools
logic
adobe audition
supercollider
pure data
sibelius
finale
sony acid music studio/pro
sony soundforge

daws to avoid in no particular order
Dr. Drum
Dub Turbo.
BTV Solo

others will have their own opinions

special mention for btv solo: a lot of people come and join fp and then start spamming links to it; that more than anything else colours my opinion of the software - such tactics are usually the hallmark of something that is less than ideal to work with

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on what you want to accomplish with your music.

I've seen people here post their gear list of preferred DAW and other software containing tons of stuff, but when I listen to their music (some great, some not so great), they did nothing with it that couldn't be done with some LE stuff bundled free with any number of midi controllers out there.

If the music you want to make requires a lot of stuff, get a lot of stuff with the best bang for your buck possible in terms of quantity and upgrade later.

If the music you are going to make isn't going to require a lot of stuff, don't bother gathering a lot of stuff, use the bang for your buck approach for quality over quantity in your selections.

What do you want to do musically? What kind of gear will you need to achieve your musical vision? What do you already have?

Answering a couple of basic questions before spending any money is always a good idea.

Back