NOOB: First time using SONAR X2

Da59

Sooo here's a sad little story. I bought Sonar X2 Studio about a year ago, hoping to start creating some music (this is for fun, I never plan/planned on being famous or anything near that). I tried it out, then realized I have no idea how anything worked. I played with FL Studio demo before and I at least came up with some random catchy stuff, but since I was stupid I bought SONAR because I think I heard it was better once you learned it or something.
Anyways, I gave up and now during winter break I have some spare time to kill so I thought i'd whip out my keyboard and reinstall sonar and play around.

So, I am still a full blown noob, consider me an idiot who bought music production stuff without learning beforehand (I did a bit but I forgot what little bit i learned now)

-In FL STudio demo i just plugged in my AI Masterkey 49 and was able to start playing. I just went options>checkmark or something. How do I connect it to Sonar? after I plug it in it shows up in the list of plugged devices but it doesn't work

-Why do my speakers not work for sonar? Upon opening the program it says "---Speakername--- is not compatible/in use by another program". I have the exact same setup as last year when it was able to play sound...now it's silence. I do not have studio monitors. No external sound card. Works for FL demo.

-In terms of both FL and Sonar, is there a way to make it so that each key on my keyboard is a different instrument (like a drum pad)? Like if I wanted to do a bit of finger drumming? Right now (which assume is the only way it's meant to work) if you open up a drum or whatever and u smack the keys up the scale it's just a higher pitch of that drum. Is there a way to make it so that, say C is a clap, D is a kick, E is a hihat?
-Is there something similar to that for the knobs on the Masterkey49? Since I usually use at least 8 tracks -even with my noobiness- and there's 4 knobs, is there a way to make it so that when i click on a track it assigns it to a knob, without me clicking Assign controll>Auto detect (FL studio)?

Sorry for the long post, noobs have noob questions.
yes I realize getting X2 instead of FL was a mistake

Please tell me you didn't buy that without watching tutorials or "slasking a demo" of it beforehand o_O!
But in all seriousness though, youtube has tutorials for as many daws as possible.
And the manual comes with the programs and apps.[pdf or physical]
I Don't use that so I can't help, but there's a dude called kvanime that used that thing before and showed people how to use it.

Please tell me you didn't buy that without watching tutorials or "slasking a demo" of it beforehand o_O!
But in all seriousness though, youtube has tutorials for as many daws as possible.
And the manual comes with the programs and apps.[pdf or physical]
I Don't use that so I can't help, but there's a dude called kvanime that used that thing before and showed people how to use it.

At the time I was watching videos all day and had the X2 Producer demo. I was feeling ok about playing with it but I was thinking Ill learn much more with time, cuz I didn't feel like really sitting down and learning how to use it. I was just making random beats and playing some keys over it.

But now I can't even get the thing to work lmao thats the problem.

Compact version:

Examples of stuff that will let you do assigning of everything:
NNXT, Sampleone, Directwave,Uvi,Sf2 players
Battery, Fpc, impact, Kong

Last edited:
Back