"New one" needs kinda introduction

JentleFizz135

Hey guys, I've started working on ideas for an RPG some time ago. I have no problems creating a story, characters or getting ideas for melodies. Only problem is: I don't have any tool for making my melodeas (yes, melodeas) come true. Could anybody give me some advice, which software I could use and how exactly? I'm playing piano so my musical sense is no problem, I just need some kind of program where I can use several instruments that sound awesome, some that sound classic and maybe some 8-bit things, too. If you know how to help me please reply as soon as you can! I'm petty impatient and want to make my ideas become real pretty soon...

Are you looking to use virtual instruments or record real ones? I have no experience of the former with this software, but Audacity is free and quite easy to use if you just want to record some tracks in.

Are you looking to use virtual instruments or record real ones? I have no experience of the former with this software, but Audacity is free and quite easy to use if you just want to record some tracks in.

Actually, I'm looking for any virtual instruments 'cause I don't have that much variety of manual instruments and I don't even have any kind of keayboard using MIDI files that could be transferred towards the PC but my organ and that doesn't have that much variety of sounds usable to create a whole soundtrack like I would wish to create... I've already got Audacity on my PC but I think that doesn't help. Anyways... Thanks for someone to finally reply.

Actually, I'm looking for any virtual instruments 'cause I don't have that much variety of manual instruments and I don't even have any kind of keayboard using MIDI files that could be transferred towards the PC but my organ and that doesn't have that much variety of sounds usable to create a whole soundtrack like I would wish to create... I've already got Audacity on my PC but I think that doesn't help. Anyways... Thanks for someone to finally reply.

So you're really looking for a completely "in the box solution" ?
Are you willing to invest any money in it?

I would highly recommend Reaper. It has a free, never ending limitless trial version and a very modest fee if you want to upgrade to get a license to actually do something with what you create with it. It's a full fledged daw capable of all those things you want to do, and with the huge amounts of quality free virtual instruments out there right now I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't dive into it, or at least check it out.

The only issue, which you'd have more or less of in whatever software you would use, is that it will take you a while to get going but there are tutorials for basics and lots of helpful people around, so I have to recommend this to you.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend Reaper. It has a free, never ending limitless trial version and a very modest fee if you want to upgrade to get a license to actually do something with what you create with it. It's a full fledged daw capable of all those things you want to do, and with the huge amounts of quality free virtual instruments out there right now I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't dive into it, or at least check it out.

The only issue, which you'd have more or less of in whatever software you would use, is that it will take you a while to get going but there are tutorials for basics and lots of helpful people around, so I have to recommend this to you.

Reaper, huh? Looks like I already was on the right way. I've found that one and tried the trial version, yet I don't have much skills but I created some melodies with not much sound variety yet. I really need to get more instructions in using it...

You could read the manual :-)

You could search the Web for the terms and concepts you're unfamiliar with and just generally watch some youtube videos of people producing stuff in that program.

Not sure what else to say about it right now without any more specific questions

Last edited:
There's tons of midi piano devices but only one midi guitarboard, the jamstick.
Due it's rarity I don't know of it can be used to learn guitar like piano keyboards can but that would be hilarious if that was the case.

Back