In need of a Free 808 VST!

I am not allowed to post links yet.... but if you google VST4FREE go to drum machines and then on the 3rd page you will find "VR-08 Free". I use that one. I'm not sure if it is the best one out there but it does a decent job. Unfortenetly you need to purchase it to be able to route all samples to different tracks, but thats the only downside.

I know exactly what your talking about it pops up with the "purchase vr-08" as soon as you open the vst. The problem I run into with it is just what you say. I have not messed with it too much since.

Yeah it is pretty annoying, I'm searching for an other one too atm :). Google: "TS-808 VST4FREE". This one doesn't has that routing problem, and most samples sound better too!

What software are you currently using? Just about everything comes with basic 808 drum sounds. If all you want is a kick, you can make your own 808 kick.

There are two ways to achieve the sound of a TR-808 one is to use samples taken from an actual TR-808 and the other is to model the sound of a TR-808 like one of the earliest modeling plugin instruments, Propellerhead's ReBirth RB-338 which is now free although a little long in the tooth but should still work according to the Windows Compatibility Center....now although I have a boxed copy somewhere I haven't tested it myself as I have both a real TR-808 as well as a Novation Drum Station but you could check over at the ReBirth museum, I think you can forget about running ReBirth on a Mac though because Rebirth stopped working on that platform a long time ago.

You all are awesome. I'm attempting to be less noob ;) I use FL Studio 11. The sub bass mainly but I'm sure I could use the whole kit at times. I'm sorry S-Cruz I was not born with your awesome knowledge of everything. Your sperm cell must have contained Terabytes worth of data. ALL HAIL S-CRUZ The production genius that I have never heard of ;)

what is the benefit of using an 808 plug-in instead of samples?
most of the emulators allow you to replicate the other aspects of the sound of any of the 808 instruments including pitching in real time and the decay, drop off level, whereas a sample is a fixed pitch/decay combination

Last edited:
most of the emulators allow you to replicate the other aspects of the sound of any of the 808 instruments including pitching in real time and the decay, drop off level, whereas a sample is a fixed pitch/decay combination

Yeah what he said.

A real TR-808 features controls to shape some of the sounds, for example the Bass Drum has controls for tone and decay (no control for pitch though) whereas samples will be based upon how these controls were set on the TR-808 during sampling, of course samples allow you to pitch the Bass Drum which is not possible on a standard TR-808 and while a TR-808 can be modified for Bass Drum tuning a lot of cats back in the day achieved pitched bass by using samples or by using a synth.....some 808 sounds can be tuned/pitched though and you can shape the sound of the snare in a way you can't really do with a sample.

A good emulation will give you all the controls of a real TR-808 plus a few extra, my Novation Drum Station for example has a few extra controls I don't have on my TR-808, which you just wouldn't use if you wanted shit to sound authentic, from memory I think ReBirth is set up to be more authentic and as such the Bass Drum tuning is set to G or some shit, and the root note is definitely something to watch out for when using samples too.

My 808 has a Bass Drum tuning modification and I tend to tune my 808 by ear before use and yes it makes a huge difference having everything in tune, but sometimes I will tune different 808 sounds to play certain notes....which is much better achieved with the Novation Drum Station or samples due to being able to change pitch via MIDI.

D16's Nepheton is what your looking for.
D16 Group Audio Software - Beyond Perfection - Nepheton

Nepheton contains 17 fully synthesized instruments perfectly emulating the famous 808 drum machine. The instruments models are equipped with additional controls giving you possibility to tweak the sound much better. Nepheton has a flexible output configuration. Every instrument's audio signal can be routed to any of the 12 outputs. This allows users to further shape sounds individually or in groups via their favourite plug-ins. Each individual output can be set to mono or stereo. For the greatest 808 fans we've added also original Trigger output (configurable as well).

Back