From MPC2000xl To Logic Pro X or Maschine

studio4942

Wutup Peeps!

I'm sure a lot of y'all went or are going through the same quandary I am in trying to decide which software to jump into coming from the MPC and hardware synths. I've been researching hard before I made my decision by visiting Guitar Center to demo Maschine and scouring Youtube for as much information I can on Logic Pro X as GC doesn't have it to demo at the store.

I've been leaning primarily towards Maschine (MK2 or Mikro) because I've had a chance to physically get my hands on it and because of the ton of drum kits and sounds it comes with out of the box. Plus it has a lot of NI expansions that integration seamlessly. However, just because it comes with the hardware controller with pads doesn't automatically make the workflow the same. But I also see producers using Logic quite a bit as well and it looks like it's fairly easy to easy even though it's very powerful.

One of the key reasons I want to jump into software is because of the ability breakout the sounds individually into a DAW quickly or directly like with Logic. Plus I can't ignore all the plugins and VSTi that are available with software.

So I wanted to hear from you that have made the jump from MPC and hardware synths to either Maschine or Logic and what it was like in terms of adjusting to. Thinks like why you chose one over the other and what you feel the biggest benefit is.

If you have a link to a Logic Pro X video that gives a good demo of the stock sounds like the drums and synths I'd appreciate it as well. Most of the videos I've found demo more of the acoustic drum kits and don't really dive into the electronic / hip hop/ EDM kits.

So holla back and tell me what y'all think.

Why not just use both. Get the machine. Find yourself a copy of logic. Use them both together, thats what I do. Easily the best of both worlds.

The native instruments sounds are awesome.
But logic pro is amazing for overall producing/recording (can't record vocals/instruments into the maschine vst)

I never bothered to ditch my hardware because unlike Apple who never bothered to integrate Sound Diver into Logic Steinberg did integrate the means into Cubase by which I can manipulate most of my hardware on screen as though it were a VST.....they are called MIDI Device Panels, unfortunately I don't think there are any for the MPC.

Personally I try to avoid all that proprietary software/hardware dependency bullshit whenever I can, like if Apple decides they only want to make shitty all-in-one consumer computers like it's 1984 meaning that you end up with some desk hogging inside out mess of shit with hard drives hanging off wires I can pull the pin on them and run Cubase on a neat self contained tower PC with 6 internal hard drives, whereas a Logic user is trapped inside Apple's walled garden....same deal with NI I would much rather use a controller of my choice than some shit NI decides needs to be obsolete, in fact when it comes to NI I would recommend going with komplete because you are just as likely to gain as loose products with future upgrades, whereas if they pull the pin on the only product you own you are going to feel like you just got bent over.

No DAW has sufficient stock drums sounds. Logic did improve with their acoustic kits, but quality EDM kits are unfounded. I have Maschine with ALL the expansions. Having every expansion is the only case in which i recommend Maschine...truly a complete set of drums in that scenario. I still bounce out to Logic or ProTools when the song is done.

Back