Mixcraft or Cakewalk

MoZedakos

Musician & Producer
I have been using Mixcraft 7 for around 2 years, but yesterday I learnt that Sonar was renamed to Cakewalk by Bandlab and it is free. Do you think it is a good idea to download cakewalk?

Hey MoZedakos, I have a unique perspective on this question. Spent 19 years at Cakewalk, 12 as VP of Sales. For full disclosure, I am VP of Sales at Acoustica, makers of Mixcraft 8. I saw and helped Cakewalk grow from 2 mil to over 12 mil. Went from 12 to 60 people. I have seen the ups and downs. And when the time was necessary, I helped negotiate the sale of Cakewalk to Roland. I could write a book but won't bore you with all the juicy details ;-). So grateful to have ended up at Acoustica. Great company smaller company, hands-on, great DAW software in Mixcraft 8, great customer service. You can upgrade from Mixcraft 7 for only $29-$39. Excellent upgrade. Many new features, MP4 support, VST3, side-chaining, live recording via the performance panel, more VI's, content, the best video-editing DAW on the market and so much more. One-click publishing up to your music site or YouTube. I downloaded Cakewalk from Band Lab last night. Looks slick! However, I still find it not as easy to use or to understand as Mixcraft 8. Don't take it from me. Please check out my blog anthonyshomestudio.com and read the post I published from a Sonar power user. You may find it very helpful to make your decision.

Back