Mastering in Reason 4.0/5.0

L Maaaannnn

I haven't been here in ages, and I finally have been mixing with DAWS. I'm new to Reason but have made some beats. The problem is my mastering. When the mix is complete my final song's volume is so low that it is around 60% of what any MP3 I have on my desktop is. This is probably an easy fix, but it could be many a issue. Can anyone give me general advice and/or specific advice on Reason for creating LOUD beats without levels clipping or me lowering them to non-existence? Thanks much. L

Last edited:
Raise volume in daw regardless of what meter says lol.[Not too loud of course but don't let the meter dictate what you do to a certain degree]
24/32bitdepth can do this better than 16 bit.

Instrument/effect modules have volume knobs, master thing at the top has the master knob to control supralevels etc.
Sometimes I lower stuff down to like -12db, and don't touch the master fader.
Individual levels are affected by the supra/master lever knob and vice versa.

you can still find tips on how to master in Reason when the SSL console from record wasn't integrated. Some can be extracted from these vids:

Together with layering, Haas effect, mid side mastering, fiddling with the volumes and the multiband processing, you can get pretty decent master, that you can boost the loudness of with these different techniques. In the multiband processing bit, you can also find a maximizer, the mclass one.
It was definitely not ideal in those days. I'd say upgrade.

KonKossKang- Instrument/effect modules have volume knobs<-- which knobs are you talking about exactly. How do I get there?
master thing at the top has the master knob to control supralevels etc. Which master knob and what are supralevels? Pardon my uneducation.

B SIde Producer- Yeah those tutorials are pretty difficult for me to entertain as I can't view the youtube video while at my computer (no internet at home). And you say the SSL Console wasn't integrated. Was it integrated after 5.0? I have reason 4.0/5.0/record.
Is this one of the few ways to boost the volume? DO you mean upgrade to 6.0+?

I'm not trying to make the best mixes right now, I just want them loud enough for me to shop them. They are frustratingly low, I hope to make them so they are listenable right now. Thanks for the help.

KonKossKang- Instrument/effect modules have volume knobs<-- which knobs are you talking about exactly. How do I get there?
master thing at the top has the master knob to control supralevels etc. Which master knob and what are supralevels? Pardon my uneducation.

B SIde Producer- Yeah those tutorials are pretty difficult for me to entertain as I can't view the youtube video while at my computer (no internet at home). And you say the SSL Console wasn't integrated. Was it integrated after 5.0? I have reason 4.0/5.0/record.
Is this one of the few ways to boost the volume? DO you mean upgrade to 6.0+?

I'm not trying to make the best mixes right now, I just want them loud enough for me to shop them. They are frustratingly low, I hope to make them so they are listenable right now. Thanks for the help.

If you have Record then you can use the ssl with R5 no problems - some of the newer features like parallel busses/channels and group busses are not available before R7 but it still works the same way regardless (you can fudge group channels using a 14:2 mixer) coming back in to a single channel in the ssl console

the videos really are worth the time to watch and learn

as for your last statement - if the mixes aren't crash hot it won't matter if they bang or not

- get your mixes right and then load a default mastering combinator patch
-- turn the loudness curve knob on the combinator panel to the right so that MClass Eq curve it looks like a smile
-- bypass the maximiser and limiter unless it is giving you the sound you want
-- use the stereo imager as is

It's weird to explain but the master level in the mixer affects, everything everywhere in reason think of it as the "Commander" while the other individual levels mostly affect just the volume of the specific track.
I'd read what bandcoach posted too, and B-side's links show the levels in reason. kongs level is the fat knob, that affects all of kong.
the big mixer is a knob that controls ALL of reason basically.

Couldn't u just take ur exported file and drop it back in reason...??
Then thro a limiter on it to ur pleasing....
- not just thro one on (gain n such)....

Last edited:
If you have Record then you can use the ssl with R5 no problems - some of the newer features like parallel busses/channels and group busses are not available before R7 but it still works the same way regardless (you can fudge group channels using a 14:2 mixer) coming back in to a single channel in the ssl console

the videos really are worth the time to watch and learn

as for your last statement - if the mixes aren't crash hot it won't matter if they bang or not

- get your mixes right and then load a default mastering combinator patch
-- turn the loudness curve knob on the combinator panel to the right so that MClass Eq curve it looks like a smile
-- bypass the maximiser and limiter unless it is giving you the sound you want
-- use the stereo imager as is

In the video:
[h=1]52 Reason / Record Tips - Week 6: Multi band processing part 1[/h]
He starts out with the output of the main mixer into the MClass input; but in my reason files, the beats do not start with a "main mixer". Is there a way for me to insert a 14:2 mixer into the mix (would i have to reroute every rack instance into it)?

Back