Maschine and External Hard drive

DexterBee

Just recently bought a new macbook. I have a Gdrive 1tb 7200rpm external hard drive that i would like to use for production purposes. What I wanted to get opinions on is how would you utilize the storage properly? Stock sounds on the actual laptop, and the external drive for any additional samples? Or everything on the hard drive?

In addition the the external hard drive usage, I picked up komplete ultimate 9 last year during the holiday when it was half off. So i guess those sample libraries will go on the drive, vst actually installed on the laptop.

Im just trying to have an organized structure, with potability in mind. It'd be nice not having to lug around an external all the time, although its not imperative. Shoot me some options and opinions. Hope this makes sense, thanks for reading.

makes sense and you have a couple options, both will require you lug around the hd. and either way some files will still be on your macbook, like you said the plugins
you could point the maschine installation to your external hd. obviously the easier way but the downside is its an additional place you have to remember when you are manually looking for things. for instance you have 3rd party sounds you want to drop into the library

another option...this is what i do. let maschine install default way, then go in and move all the libraries to your hd. then in the default location leave a short cut to the real deal on your external. i do this because i can do things manually to the libraries without having to go to my hd. as long as its hooked up its like its not even there. plus i can install other NI or maschine things without having to change the default installation options

all a matter of preference

Last edited:
Back