Making OSx shortcuts disabled to use F keys, etc.. in Pro Tools 11

Yumid

So I installed Pro Tools awhile back and followed the instructions in the manual for 'customizing pro tools for your mac' and obviously one of the steps was to disable some of your apple specific shortcuts so they didnt conflict with Pro Tools shortcuts. So I followed these steps and disabled every OSx shortcut that the Pro Tools manual told me to (and then some more that I never thought id use anyway).

Yet I still cant use main, very common shortcuts within Pro Tools because my F keys still have shortcuts on them (ex, when I try to use F7 and F8 to enable the smart tool in pro tools, it opens my iTunes instead, brightness is still enabled for F1 and F2, etc...)

So I'm new to Macs, but from what I can see there is no option to modify these shortcuts within System > Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts. Everything in that keyboard shortcuts section of my preferences is off, where would the other F key shortcuts be accessed on my macbook? And also, these are common shortcuts that I use a lot (volume, brightness, etc..) is it a hassle to switch everything back and forth? The only ones I really care about are my F keys right now I guess, so if i need to switch them every time, so be it. But its so annoying editing MIDI without my F key shortcuts.

so in short terms, 2 questions.

1.)how do I disable the more common(brightness, volume, etc) F key shortcuts on my macbook so I can use the grid/tool F key shortcuts in PT11?

2.)and considering the F key shortcuts i will be disabling so I can use the PT shortcuts are actually very useless shortcuts, is there a quicker way to toggle back and forth between my "Pro Tools shortcuts" and my "Mac shortcuts" without changing them all individually? Best way to ask this I guess is if I can just save a 'patch' of my shortcut settings on macbook?

Not sure if there's an easy way to switch between shortcut sets, but disabling the function keys is simple enough - System Preferences > Keyboard > check the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" option.

Not the answer you're looking for, but...on a Macbook, you may want to get a usb mouse for all the functionality. With a 2 button/scroller mouse, you may not need to rely on shortcuts. I've never relied on them, just keep all functions/tool turned on simultaneously and can easily navigate with a mouse.

Back to your original question, I'm pretty sure the manual will cover how to setup shortcuts. I apologize if this doesn't help, it's just from using PT forever, the very 1st time I run it on a mac, I instantly remember I have to turn on right and left clicks from the mouse, and I CANNOT run it properly on any laptop without connecting a mouse. I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but, hopefully it can help you out. Sorry for wasting your time if it doesn't.

EDIT:Click the apple logo in the top left of your screen, System Preferences, Keyboard, Shortcuts. Uncheck the buttons you want use over.

Last edited:
Not the answer you're looking for, but...on a Macbook, you may want to get a usb mouse for all the functionality. With a 2 button/scroller mouse, you may not need to rely on shortcuts. I've never relied on them, just keep all functions/tool turned on simultaneously and can easily navigate with a mouse.

Back to your original question, I'm pretty sure the manual will cover how to setup shortcuts. I apologize if this doesn't help, it's just from using PT forever, the very 1st time I run it on a mac, I instantly remember I have to turn on right and left clicks from the mouse, and I CANNOT run it properly on any laptop without connecting a mouse. I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but, hopefully it can help you out. Sorry for wasting your time if it doesn't.

EDIT:Click the apple logo in the top left of your screen, System Preferences, Keyboard, Shortcuts. Uncheck the buttons you want use over.

Thanks guys, I actually got it all figured out with my shortcut settings.
As far as getting a mouse to bypass the shortcuts, the main reason I want to learn and master all the shortcuts (not just the common ones) is because it looks really good for getting hired at a studio. Im gonna be starting interning soon and everything helps.

I already have a PC mouse with a scroller that I hook up into my Macbook when using Pro Tools, besides for using pro tools though I LOVE the trackpad apple has. I AM gonna need to pick up an external keyboard though for the numeric shortcuts.

Back