Logic Pro X vs FL Studio ON AN IMAC - opinions please!

alancheeky

Hi everyone,

I know this question has been asked loads of times on various forums, but they were out of date or not quite the answer I'm looking for....

I've been using Cubase 4 for a couple of years, but I'm getting fed up with it crashing, and want a change of DAW. My friend is an accomplished producer with FL Studio, who has been showing me it, and I love it. The problem is I haven't got the money to buy a PC (and I can't sell my iMac), so its either:

FL STUDIO 11
+ have tried it and love it
- would have to deal with the hassle of bootcamp (wouldn't get parallels), cost £100 more

LOGIC PRO X
+ no hassle to use,
- can’t demo before buying

My question is...what is it like dealing with the hassle of having FL on bootcamp, having to switch your computer on and off again everytime you want to use something else? I'm a bit worried also about the virus vulnerability that windows has compared to iOS.

Has anyone had any experience with this, and thought the bootcamp hassle just isn't worth it and gone to Logic instead?

Thanks.

I'm not sure how these daw's compare, but I will tell you that you shouldn't base your decision based on the vulnerability of windows to virus's. I've only used windows my entire life, and I have no issues with virus's even while not running an antivirus. If you avoid sketchy websites and be careful where you choose to download from, you shouldn't really have an issue.

I had the same exact problem. Only have a Mac but i loved FL studio. Hated switching back and forth with bootcamp so I decided to stick to Logic full time. If your only problem is crashing and stability I would just go ahead and get Logic because ive never had any problems.

Look into VMWare fusion.

You can run Windows in the middle of OSX like any other program and drag/drop from one OS to the other while sharing files on both running. With bootcamp, you have to partition and run one OS at a time that get's tiring quick rebooting everytime you want to jump from one OS to another.

I got to the point I grew tired of the process of opening a program inside a program, found it tedious and finally gave in to just using Reason. I'd still recommend using VMWare fusion(or a similar program)over bootcamp. FL ran perfectly BTW, no glitches, freezes, or crashes. I did run it in a virtual XP Pro though. Also didn't slow down my Mac while doing tasks on both OS simultaneously.

If I owned a Mac I would go Logic X. Almost regardless of what genre of music you are making.
I changed from cubase on PC to mac some 10 years ago and I have never looked back.
Almost everything you can do on FL you can do on Logic and vice versa. The ways to get there might be a little different but thats about it.

But it would weight in hard for FL if you spend a lot of time working with your friend and he is a seasoned FL pro ofc.

For me an easy call, but might be a hard on for you.

Best of luck - whatever DAW you end up with.

Last edited:
FL STUDIO 11
+ have tried it and love it
- would have to deal with the hassle of bootcamp (wouldn't get parallels), cost £100 more

try this >>> News - FL Studio Mac OS X Beta

LOGIC PRO X
+ no hassle to use,
- can’t demo before buying

Personally I use Logic X and it does / has everything I need to start making beats right out the box.

great sounds library, synths, loops etc...

for £139 Logic is a steal BUT again this is my personal opinion.

You would need to see what fits / works the best for you because obvious answers are Logic X users gonna say get Logic "blah blah blah, its the shit" and FL users gonna say the same thing.

peace :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply. How have you found logic after loving fl studio? Interested because I can't demo it before I buy it.

i defnitely had some trouble at first. Fl Studio is a lot easier to get into than Logic. i barely looked at tutorials for FL but i had to go through quite a few youtube videos for Logic. But its worth it though imo. Once you master Logic and go through the tuotorials its better than FL imo.

i defnitely had some trouble at first. Fl Studio is a lot easier to get into than Logic. i barely looked at tutorials for FL but i had to go through quite a few youtube videos for Logic. But its worth it though imo. Once you master Logic and go through the tuotorials its better than FL imo.

Can you get the same finished product quality out of them both?

Thanks for your reply. How have you found logic after loving fl studio? Interested because I can't demo it before I buy it.

Logic is more like Sonar/Cubase/Pro Tools IMO. I did alot of tweaking to get the same workflow out of Reason i was getting out of FL, and while I still prefer FL's workflow, on a Mac, thanks to tons of work setting up my own template and stability, I'd only recently(as in after the release of 7.0)say I'm comfortable enough with Reason there's no need to ever touch FL again.

Everyone has different things they like/dislike about programs. With FL, i loved the step sequencer...Logic has one in Ultrabeat, but I could never get it to run as smoothly as FL's(not saying it can't, I constantly ran into hurdles with it). I also loved the fact that in FL, I could drag/drop any type of audio file to edit and time stretch. That's something Reason just got right, that I feel still takes too much work in Logic as of 9, X has flextime that sounds right, but I haven't tried because I had no interest since I'm overly satisfied with Reason at this point.

And as for the link to FL on Mac's Beta, it's just a wrapper by a program called "Crossover". Works just like VMWare Fusion that I referred you to earlier. I can only speak for myself, but loading wrappers becomes tedious when you can click and go with anything else, and with those you gotta wait for another OS to start up.

Reason does offer a demo at The World's Favorite Music Making, Recording and Music Production Software - Propellerhead , most people lose interest because it doesn't run vst/au plugs, but with the sounds and tools included, that's never concerned me as much as functionality. Everyone thinks different, but Logic just seemed like a K-Mart brand Pro Tools to me. I'd be making beats in Pro Tools before I resorted to using Logic. Other programs in the same lane as Logic are Studio One and Reaper. They have available demos as well. Then on the more unorthodox side(same side as FL and Reason, but all work differently, so only comparable by not working like most DAWs)is Ableton Live. They have a free demo as well. After trying a few demos, you can check out Logic in action on vids posted to youtube to see if it has all the functions you want. Good luck.

I think if you like the fl workflow it's relatively likely you'll struggle with the logic workflow; they feel completely different to each other. Well i can only talk from experience i guess as i was the complete opposite. Fl never sat right with me (used for about a month), whereas logic immediately clicked with me. Never tried before bought just watched a 101 and knew it was the daw for me.

I second the fusion possibility. I use it. Works well. Seamless.

FL is rly strong DAW but i think better is get on Logic cuz more profesional studios working on that stuff Now I have that problem, cuz I have chance to record my beat and song in profesional studio but I need to do my beat again on Logic (cuz Im using FL always)

Last edited:
^^^What "professional" using Logic can't just take stem files from fl? I woulda gave a pass if you had said pro tools, but no other daw is an "end all" where the user may assume everyone else will accomodate for their choice in software. Logic is no more universal of a daw than fl, reason, sonar, studio one, dp, ableton, reaper, mixcraft, cubase, acid, ect.

Last edited:
I use both and the FL is on bootcamp on my macbook pro. I don't consider it a hassle at all. I basically use Logic X when i am in a super creative zone and have time to sit and come up with a masterpiece(lol). I added bootcamp and FL to my mac for those times when i have to go to the studio with others. Logic is not hard at all, but when put on the spot, whipping up a track in FL takes NO time at all. Logic sounds great right out the box; FL sounds good also and even better when mixing in Pro Tools or Logic. Really just preference though..

Check out some of my work..i don't think you can tell which were Logic and which were FL..links should be in signature but it is BLysticBeats . com

Back