Live vs Maschine

I love the workflow in Maschine. Ableton is different.....use both.....I insert Maschine as a plugin (after the track is near completion) and apply Mixing there. I also use Maschine as the midi interface for Ableton, so I can tweek 3rd party VST's just like I can do within Maschine. Use patience....they are both stellar products.

They are two completely different things. Live is a fully functional DAW. Both are great.

Ableton Live has its own dedicated controller now as well which provided integration similar if not sort of better than Maschine.

They are two completely different things. Live is a fully functional DAW. Both are great.

Ableton Live has its own dedicated controller now as well which provided integration similar if not sort of better than Maschine.
you would think that but no there are a lot of things Push cannot do. Like open vsts in Live for example. It can open Live devices though. It can't be used to warp or chop loops or work with any audio at all. if u just load ableton presets want to step sequence play keys and launch clips and scenes its great but imo its not much better than Maschine as a controller for Live.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

I should also add I am biased. I am not upgrading to Live 9 and I am in love with Maschine. For me Live 9 just didn't offer me enough new things because I have so many vsts.

you would think that but no there are a lot of things Push cannot do. Like open vsts in Live for example. It can open Live devices though. It can't be used to warp or chop loops or work with any audio at all. if u just load ableton presets want to step sequence play keys and launch clips and scenes its great but imo its not much better than Maschine as a controller for Live.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

I should also add I am biased. I am not upgrading to Live 9 and I am in love with Maschine. For me Live 9 just didn't offer me enough new things because I have so many vsts.

Very true for the time being. I think we can expect these features in a future update. For the time you can create racks with plugin instruments (a shitty workaround I strongly admit).

As far as upgrading, the audio to midi feature and Push compatibility are the main reason I upgraded. I was curious to see how this works. The consistancy of Audio to Midi needs a little tweaking but pretty neat to say the least. I don't really care much about the 64-bit thing (this is also available in 8.3.4).

I will also admit a huge bias. I'm not a standalone Maschine user at all. Also using my mouse here and there doesn't bother me, I'm an old MPC user where everything had to be done on hardware. I only use Maschine for hosting drum kits and doing random automation effects here and there (more into doing everything else in may DAW). Plus I don't sample so chopping isn't important to me but having simple audio clip editing will be an idea function to include on any piece of hardware. But comparing Maschine vs Live still isn't a fair comparison for Maschine with Live being a full fledged DAW.

Very true for the time being. I think we can expect these features in a future update. For the time you can create racks with plugin instruments (a shitty workaround I strongly admit).

As far as upgrading, the audio to midi feature and Push compatibility are the main reason I upgraded. I was curious to see how this works. The consistancy of Audio to Midi needs a little tweaking but pretty neat to say the least. I don't really care much about the 64-bit thing (this is also available in 8.3.4).

I will also admit a huge bias. I'm not a standalone Maschine user at all. Also using my mouse here and there doesn't bother me, I'm an old MPC user where everything had to be done on hardware. I only use Maschine for hosting drum kits and doing random automation effects here and there (more into doing everything else in may DAW). Plus I don't sample so chopping isn't important to me but having simple audio clip editing will be an idea function to include on any piece of hardware. But comparing Maschine vs Live still isn't a fair comparison for Maschine with Live being a full fledged DAW.
I was meaning Maschine as a controller for Live vs Push.

I was meaning Maschine as a controller for Live vs Push.

Really depends on the user for the most part. Performance wise the Push has a huge edge when you consider the number of pads, how it handles drum racks, control over loop lengths, control over Live FX and instruments, etc.

Really depends on the user for the most part. Performance wise the Push has a huge edge when you consider the number of pads, how it handles drum racks, control over loop lengths, control over Live FX and instruments, etc.
Maschine can do those things to you just have to make a template for it.

I know this is supposed be Live Vs Maschine but I'll throw my 2 cents in about Push vs Maschine. I think push and maschine are just made for 2 different types of producer/beatmakers. If you like sampling with something similar to a mpc, then maschine is the way to go, especially for hip hop. Push seems good for the performer/electronic producer/DJ who wants to use it as an instrument. I'm just now getting into live and its super dope, loving Drum Racks for layering drums, its a little more versatile than maschine imo. Maschine you can link pads but Ableton you can just drag another sample on top and still are able to add different effects to each layer etc. I love chopping samples in both but Maschine is better for that if you want to chop from hardware. But Ableton live can convert audio to midi so if you want a sample to be replayed ableton will basically do that for you. That being said, I wouldn't get rid of either one. I use Logic, Ableton Live, and Maschine. I just pick which one I'm going to work in based on how I'm feeling, because my music sounds different in each one based on the workflow. And the different interfaces and color schemes seem to affect the way creativity comes out of my brain. But that's just me.

Last edited:
not talking about hip hop here... individuals that make hip hop look at music differently than individuals that use traditional music techniques...

i would love to see a template made with Maschine where you can play A, F and G power chord progression using the octaves below middle C and solo over that using the octaves above middle C...

Push is a instrument in the traditional sense...

again... not knocking/bashing maschine or pushing Push... but they are two different products... there is a cross-section in features... the Maschine from a hip hop prospective is a powerful product.... i.e. sampling, warping, chopping, use with the native instrument collection of products... but Push is more of a traditional instrument... again... i would love to see the template to do the above...

the problem that i am pointing out is the same as using a 25 key keyboard... yes, a 25 key keyboard is capable of doing some things like a 49, 61, 88 key keyboard... but you cant play a power chord progression and solo over that with a 25 key keyboard...

again... Push is more of a traditional instrument in the Do Ri Me Fa So La Ti realm... what i find is hip hopper do not look at music in that way... it is more of what sounds good to the ear...

if an individual looked at Push as Do Ri Me Fa etc prospective... they would understand the difference...

again... no flames... just adding my thoughts to the conversation... i do not own Maschine or Push nor planning on buying either... i am strictly talking from a "concept" standpoint i.e. tradition music "concept"... period... Ableton is promoting Push like it was a guitar, piano, harp, etc... i.e. an instrument in the "traditional" sense...
I agree in keyboard mode Push with Live is a lot more powerful than Maschine in keyboard mode. The step sequencer with Push is better than the Maschine one. I was speaking purely from a control surface stand point for Live 8 (I haven't tried the template for 9 because I am not upgrading for Live). If Push is only about being a keyboard replacement tool and drum pads and being a more traditional instrument then they knocked it out of the park. I just don't see Push as that kind of tool. I see it more as a control surface for Ableton which I think is totally comparable to other control surfaces for Live even a APC or a Launch pad.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

I know this is supposed be Live Vs Maschine but I'll throw my 2 cents in about Push vs Maschine. I think push and maschine are just made for 2 different types of producer/beatmakers. If you like sampling with something similar to a mpc, then maschine is the way to go, especially for hip hop. Push seems good for the performer/electronic producer/DJ who wants to use it as an instrument. I'm just now getting into live and its super dope, loving Drum Racks for layering drums, its a little more versatile than maschine imo. Maschine you can link pads but Ableton you can just drag another sample on top and still are able to add different effects to each layer etc. I love chopping samples in both but Maschine is better for that if you want to chop from hardware. But Ableton live can convert audio to midi so if you want a sample to be replayed ableton will basically do that for you. That being said, I wouldn't get rid of either one. I use Logic, Ableton Live, and Maschine. I just pick which one I'm going to work in based on how I'm feeling, because my music sounds different in each one based on the workflow. And the different interfaces and color schemes seem to affect the way creativity comes out of my brain. But that's just me.
Maschine is still a very powerful control surface for Live. I don't think a lot of people realize everything it can do in the Live software as a controller with the right templates. Funkin made an excellent point about the keyboard mode I think that is the biggest advantage Push has when working with Live + Maschine as a control surface.

I'm a long time ableton user and a maschine user until recently. I finally bit the bullet and bought a feeltune rhizome, and it might have me parting ways with Live which I Never thought would happen, but I'll tell you what this thing is a beast....don't mean to get off topic on my first post but soooo many people are sleeping on this thing. They wanted $1300 originally for it last year but I got it for $750 new out of a music store in New York, so I had to take the gamble.

I'm a long time ableton user and a maschine user until recently. I finally bit the bullet and bought a feeltune rhizome, and it might have me parting ways with Live which I Never thought would happen, but I'll tell you what this thing is a beast....don't mean to get off topic on my first post but soooo many people are sleeping on this thing. They wanted $1300 originally for it last year but I got it for $750 new out of a music store in New York, so I had to take the gamble.

I got the SXE last year and it's definitely in a space of its own. I think the Rhizome is slept on mainly due to its price. I like starting tracks in the Rhizome and them dumping the files/clips into Live. It's a really slick concept as a performance/production tool.

I got the SXE last year and it's definitely in a space of its own. I think the Rhizome is slept on mainly due to its price. I like starting tracks in the Rhizome and them dumping the files/clips into Live. It's a really slick concept as a performance/production tool.

yeah your definitely right, you can't price yourself above the big players before people know who you / product are. I'm going to work exclusively in Rhizome for the next 3 months, but I'll surely try to dump it into Live and see how that fits into my process.

Sounds like the beginning of a new "Reason vs. FL"-type of "discussion" :)

Last edited:
not talking about hip hop here... individuals that make hip hop look at music differently than individuals that use traditional music techniques...

I disagree with this huge generalization, I make hip-hop and I look at music in that way. Maybe not all people that make hip-hop do but a sweeping statement like that is just wrong. Also, I think too much is being made of the whole keyboard mode thing. Ok, no you cant play and solo using those two octaves like that but you can connect a keyboard on which you could...Personally I think most people with enough musical knowledge to be thinking along those lines in the first place would already have instruments to do that with.

Also, I think too much is being made of the whole keyboard mode thing. Ok, no you cant play and solo using those two octaves like that but you can connect a keyboard on which you could...Personally I think most people with enough musical knowledge to be thinking along those lines in the first place would already have instruments to do that with.

I think that is the point he is making. With Push connecting another keyboard isn't as necessary. For people using hardware in Live performances you want to carry around a less gear a possible.

Back