Is it legal to rip music from YouTube

chances are that the pieces you converted are covered by copyright as any creative work once published is subject to copyright; in almost every other country around the world copyright is automatic, only in the USA do you have to register your copyright and even if you choose not to, that does not mean that work lacks copyright protections, just that they are harder to enforce

in other words unless you are dealing with declared public domain works, they are most likely copyright and therefore illegal for you to rip

Does it apply to music for my private purposes, not distribution? What if I want to listen to some home-shot songs from YouTube for my own pleasure?

I do it. Same way as torrenting for music..What you think thats legal too? People do it anyway. Same as people smoking weed when its illegal.. Have fun with finding the music.

I do it. Same way as torrenting for music..What you think thats legal too? People do it anyway. Same as people smoking weed when its illegal.. Have fun with finding the music.

SMH @ people encouraging illegal behavior. The same ones telling you to do it will not be there to help you when you get in trouble.

actually not true the convertors are piracy neutral until someone uses one to rip the content

it is blurred by the new law in Canada; but what is in force in one country does not necessarily overrule the law in another country: whilst the internet may be its own country it is not a country that can make its own laws, having neither a parliament or congress.

Youtube allows you to view material in real time - read it's licence sometime; but may restrict your other rights according to how individual copyright owners wish their material to be dealt with

the arguments in that article are facile at best, using weasel words to justify their interpretation of what copyright law actually means - youtube is not a common broadcaster and is therefore not subject to the laws as they are applied to common broadcasters (terrestrial and cable television and radio)

perhaps more importantly, is the use to which any retained copies of youtube videos are put to: most folks that download and convert are then seeking to use part or all of the material in another creative endeavour which is decidedly illegal without proper clearances - if you are going to go to that rouble then you should use the best quality version you can find usually CD-Audio 16bit/44.1kHz, not crappy 320mbps cbr mp3 (1/4 the quality of the aforementioned CD-Audio quality)

Last edited:
It's not illegal to host the converter, but it's illegal to use it to download music that's copyrighted.

The article which implies otherwise is found on a youtube converter site.

Technically it's illegal to record samples from a record into the mpc. Surprised that they are allowed to sell those evil devices that have been used for terrible copyright infringement for decades. Where is the RIAA campaign against hardware recording devices, or "gasp" computers!
(sarcasm).
:cool:

here is the operative term from googles/youtubes service agreement

"You shall not download any Content unless you see a 'download' or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content." quoted from that article you linked to this time - they also note that in India it is legal to watch any youtube video off-line (why India is not explained)

i.e. the piracy/copyright protections are not only implicit via governing national statutes and laws but also implicit in the terms of service at youtube

therefore it is illegal to download most youtube videos as previously stated

Back