Just Purchased Ableton Live 9 i have some ???s

HalfBlacko0000

Good Music
hey guys i'm proud to say i finally saved up enough money for ableton i have had it for about 2 days now and for being new to this i'm getting the hang of it i have been going back and forth from youttube to ableton trying to get the hang of everything but a couple of things have me stuck.
0. what is the Seg BPM in the sample window i noticed when i tried to move the markers it changes is it what BPM you are changing it to if you move it up and down..i noticed when i load a audio clip in it is already set is that the right tempo?
1. when i load a sample up in the audio track and i have the yellow markers set where i want to chop but i might have a marker off, how do i move the marker so it doesn't warp the track it just changes where it chops it up at?
2.i noticed when trying to play stuff back in the browser some sampled play some samples start halfway though the sample i don't know if its a buy or do i have something set wrong?
3. after you make a drum rack and drag ur samples in and play a normal track with maybe kick, Hhat, OHat, Snare,
how do you seperate each hit so you can mix it?
i'm coming from logic pro 9 so alot of this stuff is foreign to me i know i'll love working in ableton once i get everything down.

0) The Seg BPM or Segment BPM is Live's guess at the original tempo of the clip you loaded when the Seg BPM bar is greyed out, once you start warping it Live will try its best to align the transients (or other warping algorithms that you can change below) and will adjust to the project tempo.

1) You can't move the warp markers without actually stretching or squeezing the clip. You'll simply have to double click in the warp marker bar and create a new one where you want it to be. If you hold alt or cmd while clicking, it will bypass the snap to grid.

2) There's a button in the browser called RAW, which lets you audition the sample directly without you having to wait for Live to align it in time with the song. Alternatively, you can change Live's global quantize settings for triggering clips and other stuff like that, so a clip will always start whenever the next bar starts to play if you happen to activate a clip during playback. (It's called Launch Quantization and can be found in preferences under the Record, Warp, Launch tab)

3) The drum pads in Live have their own effect slots. You can either drop the effects straight on the pad itself (or after the device in the device view, if you hover the device you want to load near the end of the simpler/sampler that has been loaded there, you will see a yellow line indicating where the effect will be loaded. If you simply put the effect behind the whole rack, it will apply to all sounds in the rack) or if you have samples loaded in more than 1 pad you can simply click on the downward pointing triangle next to the name of the track in the mixer view to reveal the individual pads tracks.

Hopefully that cleared it up, and don't hesitate to ask if there is anything else you want to know.

Last edited:
hey man thank you so much for clearing that stuff up for me...so your saying as far as the browser goes when i play a audio clip back if RAW isn't selected Ableton tries to warp it already to the tempo of the track?

Yeah, it does that. And it also triggers based on your global launch quantization. So I suspect now everytime you want to audition a sample, it always starts on the first beat of the next bar. I always just keep it on unless I want to get a rough idea what a warped loop might sound in relation to the mix.

I highly recommend reading the manual, it'd clear up all of these minor details that you may or may not be aware of. :)

Last edited:
One way to find things out that you otherwise wouldn't, especially since the software is new to you. Is to read as many of the tooltips as you can. It will reveal useful hotkeys and other information that you probably wouldn't just stumble upon by chance. So just hover the mouse over something or anything really, and read what it says in the box in the lower left corner.

Yea I've been doing that to...I have ran across another major problem I've looked though the manual and tooltips and can't find this info...OK I have a track armed and ready to record with a 4 bar loop enabled I hit record with a one bar count in I start to play a chopped up break I hit stop and go back and have a listen to make sure everything is OK and half of my performance is not there..I'm getting really frustrated.

I've tried the auto punch in and auto punch out feature on and off and it still doesn't capture my midi, well about half way though it starts laying down the parts...I have never seen a DAW with not a lot of preferences and settings they really give you the bare minimum as far as customization goes unless I'm missing something

its a lot of helpful live tutorials on youtube as well...if you stick with it, you'll love live...its my fav DAW for production

rewire fl studio into live...and u cant be touched

So now instead of playing out my warped midi part I just drew it in with the pencil tool and now it sounds like the damn thing wasn't even warped its all out ta time and shit......grrr

In order to record into a clip in session view, you need to use the record to clip button. It's located a few buttons to the right of the normal record button, and it's a hollowed out circle. I believe it's called Session Record Button. With this activated, just arm the track you want to record in, and make sure that the clip you want to record into is selected. If you want to record into an entirely new clip, you'll need to use the little record button in an empty clip slot or simply select an empty slot and use the session record button.

If you use the regular record button, every clip that's playing in the session view will be recorded into the arrangement view, along with anything that you played while doing so in the armed track. Remember that Live can't play the same track in both session view and arrangement view simultaneously and will disable what ever tracks you might have in the arrangement view, when you play the track in session and vice versa.

If you just want to record your new stuff and mix it in an existing clip in session view, rather than replacing the existing parts, you need to activate the midi arrangement overdub (a plus sign button on the right side of the record button)

Last edited:
OK I see what its doing after I play out my midi pattern and it goes to loop back around it starts to erase my notes before I can hit stop

OK I see what its doing after I play out my midi pattern and it goes to loop back around it starts to erase my notes before I can hit stop

Yeah I forgot to mention that it does that, it only loops like that when you record into an existing clip though. That's why you should use the overdub function, because it adds rather than replaces your recording.

Yea this is a little different then what I'm used to I really owe you big time what kind of music you make?

Sure, it's always like this when you try to learn something different.

I'm into progressive psy/goa/trance, progressive house, minimal house/techno/trance, techno and various forms of it, psy-step, chillout, ambient, dub.. Anything like this and many fusions of either of these. Probably forgot to mention a few sub-genres, but I think you got the picture.

What about you?

Last edited:
I'm more into the hip hop, trap but I don't think I can find a genre of music I don't enjoy, since I took up so much of your time I don't know if they would be any use to you but I got a couple sample packs I could hook ya up with... For helping me out there all samples I either sampled and processed myself or made from scratch..if you can figure out how I can send them they are yours

Thanks man, I appreciate that, but that's really not necessary. To be quite honest, I don't even know where I would put them.. I've got tons of samples and the last thing I need is more of them to browse through. :) But I might take you up on that offer another time though.

Back