Izotope Ozone 7 ADVANCED

IsThisIt?

Hi all, I'm looking into purchasing Izotope Ozone 7 ADVANCED this weekend to help me master my tracks with Logic X Pro. Musician friend of mine swears by it and says that it will be very useful for me. My main issue is achieving good volume on a mix. I'm able to get a clear, good sounding mix prior to mastering, but the volume is very low. I'm hoping this will help me out. Anyone use this/recommend it?

How much experience do you have with mastering/mixing, and what are you monitoring/listening on?

IMO there's almost no difference between say, your stock EQ, compressor, limiter etc and the best money can buy- but good monitors/headphones/room treatment do matter so it might be worth putting some money into a pot so you can get better monitoring.

If you're new to the whole mixing/mastering thing I would say there are other things you could spend your money on which make more difference...

I'm going to have to disagree with scrapheaper, _especially_ in regards to hardware, but there are differences when dealing with software processing and effects too (mostly regarding flexibility and applicability, not sound quality, however, so I suppose I agree with him after all).

In your case, however, I think if you are just starting-out, and it's really only volume that you're interested in, I would look at a simple program that does that (volume/compression/limiting), rather than a complex tool like Ozone to start out with. I would suggest Steinberg's "Loudness Maximizer," or Thomas Mundt's "LoudMax." Some others out there include Sir Elliot's "Master-Limiter" series, or "Volume 11," Minimal System Group's "Mastering Limiter," and TLS "Maximizer VST" (I don't have any experience with these last four, but the reviews look pretty good, for what that is worth). Many of these are available free (legally).

GJ

well, it's not ONLY volume. I've been getting pretty good mixes (at low volumes) and then sending my stuff to an old friend who has been mastering it for me and it sounds great. I really want that clarity and high quality sound in combination with the boosted volume

well, it's not ONLY volume. I've been getting pretty good mixes (at low volumes) and then sending my stuff to an old friend who has been mastering it for me and it sounds great. I really want that clarity and high quality sound in combination with the boosted volume

Pretty much more volume always = greater clarity if your mix is ok.

If you are truly confident that your mixes are solid, then use some gentle limiting- i'm sure all the limiters recommended by rhythmgj are good, and I'll just add one more - Toneboosters 'barricade' (there's a free version that comes with Computer music magazine)

Last edited:
>>>>Pretty much more volume always = greater clarity if your mix is ok.<<<<

More volume = louder (!). It's true that in objective tests, people always tend to pick the louder version of even the same track. Volume (and "apparent volume," a related but different concept) can fool our ears and our minds. Your mix should have clarity at whatever reasonable level someone is comfortable listening in. Then, when you boost the volume with limiting (without over-doing it and choking the life out of the track), it will sound awesome. But get used to mixing at _lower_ levels, I'd say. Then your musical cake will be ready for the sonic icing, so to speak.

GJ

The saying "Its not what you use, its how you use it" truly kicks in this topic.

I know great producers that can achieve a great mix/master on logic using stock plug ins instead of third party plugs. If you're satisfied with your mix, using MB dynamics, compressor, a bit of eq and a limiter should make a nice difference in your final project, just to name a few. Others can argue you don't need much, and its true, but you never want to over do your mix. (*Yes I know, you shouldn't master your own tracks blah blah blah. I can't afford a mastering engineer on all my projects so I do the best I can. I wouldn't even consider them mastered.

Ozone is indeed a great tool to you. A solid all in one mastering plug in if you will. Get familiar with the stock plug ins before you decide to spend a nice amount on Ozone. Its good to know what you're doing. Ozone won't auto-master it for you :) Hope this helps bud!

The saying "Its not what you use, its how you use it" truly kicks in this topic.

I know great producers that can achieve a great mix/master on logic using stock plug ins instead of third party plugs. If you're satisfied with your mix, using MB dynamics, compressor, a bit of eq and a limiter should make a nice difference in your final project, just to name a few. Others can argue you don't need much, and its true, but you never want to over do your mix. (*Yes I know, you shouldn't master your own tracks blah blah blah. I can't afford a mastering engineer on all my projects so I do the best I can. I wouldn't even consider them mastered.

Ozone is indeed a great tool to you. A solid all in one mastering plug in if you will. Get familiar with the stock plug ins before you decide to spend a nice amount on Ozone. Its good to know what you're doing. Ozone won't auto-master it for you :) Hope this helps bud!

Thanks man! been toying around with limiting, compression and eq for months and I'm still quiet on my mixes... getting kinda hopeless at this point

is there some sort of demo / trial version of izotope ozone i could download? i keep hearing good things would be great to try it

is there some sort of demo / trial version of izotope ozone i could download? i keep hearing good things would be great to try it

From Splice, you can try it out for 3 days before "payment goes active" and at that point you can cancel it.

Back