Integrating MPD with Cubase vs MPC

thebookseller

Hey all,

To cut to the chase, I'm a long term producer who finds himself living abroad in Peru, with limited gear. I was thinking about buying an MPC 2000XL, or an MPD. Recently, because of cost including import taxes etc (no MPC's to be found here), MPD seems to be winning.

I have a couple of questions......bear in mind I've never been an MPC user, but would like to enter into that style of production.

1) How easily can I autochop/chop and assign to pads in a VST compatible with Cubase? I've seen that VST Poise that looks pretty decent. Does it accept rex files for example? Or is there another VST that would work super well with MPD to give me MPC style function without faffing around with manual chopping, exporting, and importing?

2) Would I really be losing a lot by choosing an MPD over an MPC? Bear in mind the cost of either MPC 1000 or MPC 2000XL for me is around $800 imported (for a semi decent one) whereas an MPD 26 is like $250.

Any advice here would be appreciated. I have been using Cubase for more than 10 years, and never feel I could go full MPC without using the DAW techniques I already know, so perhaps the MPD is the really sensible choice. I just want to be able to chop and slice quickly and easily like you can on an MPC.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I don't know answers on all questions but I will try to help:

1) You can't chop samples with MPD as with MPC, you must do it manually. For Poise I know nothing.
2) I think you will not lose anything. I even think it is better to buy mpd because it is easier to do things with computer and controller then just with mpc and also it is cheaper solution.

Back