instances of VSTi in Reaper

suvo

hi,
i used to work on acid pro, where for each track i could load new instance of vsti or use existing one (that allowed me to record separate snare, kick and hihat tracks without loading 3 different instances of that plugin into memory)

now i use reaper and as far as i know for each track i must load a new instance of plugin, so: to record separate tracks of snare, kick n hihat i would need to load plugin into memory three times - one for each track. That eats a lot of RAM.

question is: is there a way to use vsti plugins in reaper like i used in acid pro?

Last edited:
You could probably put the plugin you want on one track, then adjust it so snare, kick, hihat all go to different outputs then use the send/receive to send the three outputs to three completely new tracks.

You'll need to press the I/O button on the plugin track to go to the routing menu then set the number of channels to 6 (for three stereo tracks) before you get the option to send channels 3/4 and 5/6 to their respective tracks.

I guess this isn't quite the same, because you only have one MIDI input, but that shouldn't be a problem if you're only doing drums.

thanks for your reply
it helped a lot, but still i have some problems
1. when i hit record it records everything on every track. ok i figured out that if i disable recording on the main track (the one sending to others, where plugin is) and leave it armed i can record only to those "receive" track (as it should be), but:
2. on both tracks (besides main track i have snare and kick tracks) everything is recorded, i mean: all midi information is recorded. the only difference is that on snare track kick is muted (and vice versa)
3. do you think it has something to do with midi channels? to be honest i have no idea how to deal with midi channels in battery, i can set midi channel for midi input (shouldnt it be named output?) but i can only choose channel 2 to hear sound (why not 1?).
on the track i have set the input to MIDI:MPK mini, which i use, :all channels. It works also when i select channel 2 (on both or if i leave the other to all)
doeas all that make any sense?

Last edited:
If you right click on the arm/disarm button you have the options about what to record: MIDI or sound and input or output, You probably want to only arm the 'main track' and record midi on that, or arm the other tracks and record sound output from those.

Back