I'm about to give up….

studio4942

For years now I've been waiting to run across software where you can quickly and easily search for sounds when sequencing. Every single time I sit in on someone using VST (I guess that’s what it’s called) to make tracks they have to open folders and click several times before they get to sounds. I even went to Guitar Center to have them show me some of the software that’s being used these days and it was such a hassle to even get the midi keyboard controller to play sounds. I just don’t get how someone can work like this. I'm not a click here to add a kick / snare/ hi hat on a grid type of dude. I see cats do this with software like Fruity Loops and Logic and other programs. It’s like stick a kick here and see if it’s where I want it. Why wouldn’t you just play it where you want it on a controller? I'm not hating, it just seems strange to me and a waste of time. But I guess these days software is the first time some cats have ever made a beat and they’ve never used an MPC and synth or rack to make beats. Maybe I'm just old school or just plain getting old.

For years now I've been waiting to run across software where you can quickly and easily search for sounds when sequencing. Every single time I sit in on someone using VST (I guess that’s what it’s called) to make tracks they have to open folders and click several times before they get to sounds. I even went to Guitar Center to have them show me some of the software that’s being used these days and it was such a hassle to even get the midi keyboard controller to play sounds. I just don’t get how someone can work like this. I'm not a click here to add a kick / snare/ hi hat on a grid type of dude. I see cats do this with software like Fruity Loops and Logic and other programs. It’s like stick a kick here and see if it’s where I want it. Why wouldn’t you just play it where you want it on a controller? I'm not hating, it just seems strange to me and a waste of time. But I guess these days software is the first time some cats have ever made a beat and they’ve never used an MPC and synth or rack to make beats. Maybe I'm just old school or just plain getting old.

You must not be too old then.

I used to own a Yamaha TG55 and used to program the hell out of it. I would save patches on floppy via a Yamaha MDF2 and would have to go through the pain of flipping though dozens of floppies, loading patches slowly, and playing them for a moment to figure out that this wasn't the right one.

I had a Roland R8, R8mkII, and R5. I had memory cards for the R8's and would save patterns and songs to them. Takes forever going through a bunch of shit saved to a memory card to find the stuff you want.

My Yamaha TX81z's and TX7 patches were also saved with the MDF2. Flipping through those patches were a royal pain.

I had banks of sounds saved on floppy for my Sequential Multi-Trak, Casio CZ1000, and MT32. Again, loading them up was a pain.

Notice a trend here?

When I finally got a copy of Unisyn for my PC back then, a lot of the pain went away as I could load up banks of sounds and even edit them using Unisyn (for the synths I had that were supported anyways). I stored patches in a folder on my PC and could browse to them quickly and push them out with ease.

I'll take what we have nowadays over the old.

um you can play it where you want it. I just synched my midi to my laptop once and i'm good. Then i just slide down my drum samples and the software plays it back automatically so you can hear it before you even have to select it

Back