i NEEEEEDDDDDDD sum decent 808's

KlearVision

For The Love
modern rap music aint even modern rap without 808 hits and all mine r crap or ive used them so much I feel the need for new ones. someone point me in the right direction pls pls wit a cherry on top

look on google for "Johnny juliano trap lord". This kit is insane if you're looking for drums to make trap music and you got some good 808s

just learn to use effects on your 808's and kicks. eq your kicks accordingly so they sit well on top of the 808. I also like to use distortion on my 808s as well. Most 808's that you find in drum kits now a days are already messed with. but google is really your friend for coming up on sounds just be careful.

thx for responses ima check out sum of the ones on google. and as far as the distortion I keep hearing about it but I haven't seen any articles detailing the process. like what type of distortion what is commonly used to make that specific distortion ect ect

I find that its more about experimenting and learning from trial and error, and coming up with something that sounds good to you.
but here is a great article that explains distortion and saturation. hope it helps
How to Mix 808's to Hit HARD [Free Samples]

Last edited by a moderator:
and this is why I love FP I asked a very specific question and got multiple grade A responses with links included. much appreciated

Use saturation, overdrive, distortion, EQ, Compressor, etc. there are so many things that make a dull 808 into one that'll blow your pants off. I usually make my own 808s with one of the drum synths inside Maschine 2.0. Then I run usually run them through the effects I listed inside of Ableton Live. I really just experiment until I come up with something I like. I've made some really good ones doing it like this and I'm pretty much still a beginner at this music thing.

808's

It's really how you mix your 808's that make them stand out more than anything. Well it first starts with high quality samples but even then, if you don't know how to mix them to fit perfectly then your high quality sample will be worthless.

What you really need first and foremost is decent monitoring or you will have no idea how decent your 808's actually are.....if you monitoring ain't right all you will get is overtones rather than the fundamental frequency.

Dude, I'm sure its been said. But EVERY. SINGLE. 808 sample in existence is NOTHING but a sample of the EXACT same Roland 808 machine. Its the convolution reverbs and Impulse responses that you apply to them that make them really stand out.

Any 808 (because they are all the same sample) is going to sound dry without any spices added.

Good 808 samples ?

Goldbaby does some amazing 808 kits processed using some nice outboard . Sounds great .

Wave Alchemy make Transistor Revolution , a Kontakt instrument that is built using samples from the 808 & 909 , probably the most comprehensive 808 recreation on the market . Or if you want some different samples that sound amazing , their complete drum bundle is the business .

To make old samples sound interesting , maybe try , as suggested , interesting IR's , or plugins like PSPaudioware's Nitro / N20 , or Sugar Bytes Effectrix , hell there are a huge number of effect plugin that can make crazy new sounds outta your 808 samples .

make your own 808 using sytrus or some other synth that has sine waves. or take a basic 909 kick and layer it with a bassline.

Dude, I'm sure its been said. But EVERY. SINGLE. 808 sample in existence is NOTHING but a sample of the EXACT same Roland 808 machine. Its the convolution reverbs and Impulse responses that you apply to them that make them really stand out.

Any 808 (because they are all the same sample) is going to sound dry without any spices added.

Not really though because any sample of a TR-808 is dependent on the settings and sound of the particular TR-808 from which the sample was made......for example the tone, decay, tuning* of the Bass Drum.

*Tuning is not an external control on a standard TR-808 it is accessed via an internal trim-pot, so it can quite easily vary from one TR-808 to the next.

Back