i NEEEEEDDDDDDD sum decent 808's

does any one know how to make 808s from scratch? from a synthesizer? Ive seen people talking a lot about this especially on edm threads. thanks

read the description here

source

TS-808 is a software emulation of the Roland TR-808 hardware drum machine. It was created by reference to the TR-808 service notes and extensive analysis of samples.

Details:
TS-808 is a drum synth, not a sampler.
Most of the voices have more parameters and a greater range than their hardware predecessors.
All parameters can be automated.
Remote control is available via host mapping or MIDI learn.
There are 8 outputs.
Each voice can be routed to any output.

All Voices
All voices have controls for Level (* Lev), Velocity Sensitivity (* < V), and Output (* Out).
Any voice can be routed to any of the 8 outputs.

Bass Drum
The base frequency of the BD is 48.999 Hz, better known as G1 or MIDI note 31.
BD Tune alters the pitch by up to +-12 semitones, i.e. a value of +2 will raise the base frequency of the BD by 2 semitones, to A1 (55 Hz).

Snare Drum
The base frequencies of the SD tone generators are 174.614 Hz (F3) and 349.228 Hz (F4).
SD Tune alters the pitch of the tone generators by up to +-12 semitones.

Toms
The base frequencies of the toms are:
LT - 97.999 Hz (G2).
MT - 146.832 Hz (D3).
HT - 220 Hz (A3).
The Tune parameters alter the pitch by up to +-3 semitones.
The Rev parameters control the amount of pink noise mixed with the signal.

Congas
The base frequencies of the congas are:
LC - 195.997 Hz (G3).
MC - 293.664 Hz (D4).
HC - 440 Hz (A4).
The Tune parameters alter the pitch by up to +-3 semitones.
The Decay parameters extend or reduce the decay time of the signal.

Rim Shot
There are two tone generators for the RS.
The signals are half-wave rectified. The rectified signal is mixed with the clean signal.
RS Tone controls the mix.
At -5 only the rectified signal is present, at 5 only the clean signal.
At 0 the mix is equal and the sound is very close to that of the TR-808.

CLave
The base frequency of the CL is 2349.318 Hz (D7).
CL Tune alters the pitch by up to +-6 semitones.

ClaP
The CP is composed of a strike portion and a reverb portion.
CPR Lev controls the amount of the reverb portion present in the mix.
CPS Dec and CPR Dec control the decay times of the strike and reverb portions respectively.

MAraca
The MA is just bandpass filtered white noise shaped by an envelope.
MA Tune varies the frequency of the band pass filter from around 350Hz to 10500 Hz.
MA Attack & MA Decay control the envelope generator.
When all controls are at 10 the sound is all but identical to that of the TR-808.

Cow Bell
The CB comprises two half-wave rectified square waves run through a bandpass filter.
According to the schematics, the frequencies are 540 Hz and 800 Hz. In the samples Tactile Sounds analysed, they were closer to 565 Hz and 849 Hz. Tactile Sounds settled on base frequencies of 523.251 Hz and 783.991 Hz - a perfect fifth, and in tune with the rest of the voices.
CB Tune alters these pitches by up to +-12 semitones.
CB Buzz controls the amount of the rectified signal in the final mix.
CB Clang controls the amount by which the oscillators are detuned.

Hi Hats
The CH and OH of the TR-808 have different envelopes and filters. In the TS-808 the envelopes are different but the filter is shared.
HH Tune varies the cutoff frequency of the filter, from ~8000 Hz to ~11000 Hz.
HH Dec controls the decay time of the OH.

I would using a sine wave source if you can find it or a triangle if you can't

does any one know how to make 808s from scratch? from a synthesizer? Ive seen people talking a lot about this especially on edm threads. thanks

Sure I'll help you out bro. With this specific question I'll get you on your journey to making one.

Grab a synth with saturation you want to sound like. For ex. a synth that sounds the way you like.

Next drop a low pass filter down to below im guessing the 90s or experioment for sure hey you gotta do some work yourself and tune it up the way you want anyhow.

Next add another noise osc besides the sin wave you have already cutoff at about 90 or even lower.

Start adjusting the cutoffs to sound like the kind of 808 you want.

You don't need to go totally genric 808 but there are some fundamentals to get behind. Like that grit from maybe the noise osc cutoff too to help make it more gritty or such.

Mainly I hope you can earn your rights and experioment with cutoffs and get THAT 808 "TUNED" the way you want it to sound. because hey 808s don't have to sound store bought. SUpe'em and dupem up.

Hope I could spur you on.

I have a nice drumkit I made from scratch including some great 808's,live drum hits,perc,layered hits
Introductory Price of just $5
857 hits/290 mb mega drum pack
Tonezilla Monster Drums

Last edited:
Back