I need new VST plugins for FL Studio (also some advice on how to use VST's)

CVMZ/.XX

So I am a Rapper (well, I think I can rap) turned producer (a unique story I know) who has been teaching himself how to use FL Studio. My only previous sorta producer experience was using Logic Fun or Mixcraft to complete coursework in music class. However with some of the pre installed VST's I am sorta dissapointed with the sounds I can acheive, as they go from straight cheap sounding, to something which would be perfect in an 80's pop song. So I guess what I'm asking is if any of you guys could point me in the direction of something better sounding or help me utilize my kit better.

for synth sounds, look into sylenth, zebra, ana, spire, massive, fm8, omnisphere, trilian. For bread and butter look into hypersonic2, plugsounds, various kontakt libraries.

Stock plugins are actually capable of making some v. nice synth sounds, when chained correctly.

Pick a patch, then do the following FX chain on it: subtle distortion/ saturation (don't overdo it, you only want it to sound louder, not actually very distorted), then multiband compression and last of all reverb ( again, don't overdo it, 50% wet/dry is plenty, and you don't want more than 1000ms of decay, probably less than that)

Don't make the mistake of assuming that buying more plugins will make you a better sound designer. Only a bad workman blames his tools.

Last edited:
Some of the vsts mentioned above r great but some are dated. Omnisphere to me is dated big time and there aint many patch designers coming up with anything current for that synth but the Arp is the most user friendly. The newest sound is probably Nexus2.. EDM expansion, synthmaster2. Massive is to me is the best thing out there in terms of how many patches are available (I dont make my own) and sound 'new' like...
https://synthmob.com/presets/massive/nexus-based-presets-massive

Last edited:
Stock plugins are actually capable of making some v. nice synth sounds, when chained correctly.

Pick a patch, then do the following FX chain on it: subtle distortion/ saturation (don't overdo it, you only want it to sound louder, not actually very distorted), then multiband compression and last of all reverb ( again, don't overdo it, 50% wet/dry is plenty, and you don't want more than 1000ms of decay, probably less than that)

Don't make the mistake of assuming that buying more plugins will make you a better sound designer. Only a bad workman blames his tools.

What?! Everything makes sense except your example of the effect chain. What sound would that be good for and in how many situations does that even work?

Why would you add saturation or distortion just to make something louder..
Why would you use a multiband compressor..
Why would you want to have the wet dry mix at 50%...

Seriously, this is kind of stupid without context.

What?! Everything makes sense except your example of the effect chain. What sound would that be good for and in how many situations does that even work?

Why would you add saturation or distortion just to make something louder..
Why would you use a multiband compressor..
Why would you want to have the wet dry mix at 50%...

Seriously, this is kind of stupid without context.

I agree, that chain could be applied to something but you could also put the compressor after the effect for something else. And buying more plugins WILL make you a better designer and they'll broaden your options and give you a greater palette of sound to work with. And 1000 ms seconds of decay? What the hells that?

Last edited:
I didn't mean it to be the only FX chain ever worth using, just a quick example of something to try to make stock synths less cheap and 80's sounding, whilst still retaining their original character (hence my warning about using too much reverb and distortion).

I feel it's a pretty general FX chain that could be used tastefully on most things. Maybe not basses or drums perhaps, but I didn't think of that at the time.

Mostly I was thinking that OP was falling into the trap of thinking that expensive plugins always sound better than stock plugs. This isn't true- expensive plugs with more features can generate a larger variety of sounds than stock plugs, but stock plugs can sound just as good.

A supersaw made with say, massive, doesn't necessarily sound better than a supersaw made with 3x osc and a few stock FX.

Last edited:
I didn't mean it to be the only FX chain ever worth using, just a quick example of something to try to make stock synths less cheap and 80's sounding, whilst still retaining their original character (hence my warning about using too much reverb and distortion).

I feel it's a pretty general FX chain that could be used tastefully on most things. Maybe not basses or drums perhaps, but I didn't think of that at the time.

Mostly I was thinking that OP was falling into the trap of thinking that expensive plugins always sound better than stock plugs. This isn't true- expensive plugs with more features can generate a larger variety of sounds than stock plugs, but stock plugs can sound just as good.

A supersaw made with say, massive, doesn't necessarily sound better than a supersaw made with 3x osc and a few stock FX.

If you've got a cheap sounding sound (whatever that would be), I highly doubt saturation/distortion, multiband compression and reverb will do the trick. If the source is crap so will the result be.

I agree stock plugins are not bad in any way if you know your way around synthesizers and I'm certainly not going to advertise getting more expensive plugins just because.. But you should be able to produce a good timbre before you put any additional processing on them. Otherwise you will only polish the turd.

Last edited:
If you've got a cheap sounding sound (whatever that would be), I highly doubt saturation/distortion, multiband compression and reverb will do the trick. If the source is crap so will the result be.

I agree stock plugins are not bad in any way if you know your way around synthesizers and I'm certainly not going to advertise getting more expensive plugins just because.. But you should be able to produce a good timbre before you put any additional processing on them. Otherwise you will only polish the turd.
I swear 80% of the sounds in electronic music are just squares, saws or sines which have been modulated or polished in some way.

I swear 80% of the sounds in electronic music are just squares, saws or sines which have been modulated or polished in some way.

Well I can tell you right now that a saw wave from Diva is completely different than a saw wave coming out of 3x osc for example.

Sure electronic music is mainly built upon squares, saws and sines but simply adding compression and reverb doesn't really make a sound good. I'd say it has more to do with how you choose to combine oscillators and the modulations to them that'll make stuff interesting.

So I am a Rapper (well, I think I can rap) turned producer (a unique story I know) who has been teaching himself how to use FL Studio. My only previous sorta producer experience was using Logic Fun or Mixcraft to complete coursework in music class. However with some of the pre installed VST's I am sorta dissapointed with the sounds I can acheive, as they go from straight cheap sounding, to something which would be perfect in an 80's pop song. So I guess what I'm asking is if any of you guys could point me in the direction of something better sounding or help me utilize my kit better.

Question:
When you load up the "NewStuff.flp" that's automatically loaded on your first time opening FL Studio,
does it sound like an 80s pop song?

I'll save you the time looking it up and tell you that it doesn't sound dated,
and that it uses only the stock synths built into FL Studio.

Even better yet:
The guy who put it together
has a comprehensive set of "FL Studio from the ground up" tutorials on YouTube.
His channel is right here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

If you have the patience to sit and pay attention,
and watch one video a day,
you'll be moving around in FL Studio better than most of the people on this board
in less than a month.

You're welcome.

-Ki
Salem Beats

P.S., If you're being a dirty pirate with a cracked version,
consider using the coupon code in my signature to pick up a legitimate version with a discount.
Legit is the way to go, and legit users get extra perks. ;)

Last edited:
Back