How to snare echo/delay effect?

juvefan12

I'm new to fl studio and I want to get one of those snare hits with that popular echo delay effect on it (I don't even know if it's echo or delay but I think you know what I mean) that is used in rap music. I was going to use the echo knob but I can't figure out how to get in time with the music. someone help please I'm a newbie to this lol. thanks :)

its an audio effect called delay. Your DAW probably comes with one maybe more idk I don't use FL Studio. The IK Multimedia Tape Echo sounds really good and its capable of doing that effect too.

select your track in step sequencer then go to the channel settings...in channel setting select function(FUNC) and echo delay/fat mode will be on top

I actually route the snare to a seperate mixer channel and then throw in a reverb with the dry mix all the way down. Then I added a simple gater effect next in the mixer chain. Here is an example from track where I used this process...

Zippyshare.com - textures.mp3

... I was going to use the echo knob but I can't figure out how to get in time with the music..

getting it in time with the music is about knowing what your tempo is and then working out
  • how long a beat is in ms (milliseconds or thousandths of a second), and
  • then dialing in the required time based on that basic information

For example if your tempo is 120bpm then your beat is 500ms long (if we accept that you are using the quarter note (crotchet) as the beat and that your time signature/meter is 4/4)

An 8th note delay would be 250ms
A 16th note delay would be 125ms
A 32nd note delay would be 62.5ms

Here is a tempo/delay time calculators that you can use BPM to Milliseconds Calculator. It allows you to set the minim/half-note, crotchet/quareter-note,quaver/8th-note as the basic beat value and then will calculate several different delay times based on different rhythmic ideas

Last edited:
getting it in time with the music is about knowing what your tempo is and then working out
  • how long a beat is in ms (milliseconds or thousandths of a second), and
  • then dialing in the required time based on that basic information
For example if your tempo is 120bpm then your beat is 500ms long (if we accept that you are using the quarter note (crotchet) as the beat and that your time signature/meter is 4/4)

An 8th note delay would be 250ms
A 16th note delay would be 125ms
A 32nd note delay would be 62.5ms

Here is a tempo/delay time calculators that you can use BPM to Milliseconds Calculator. It allows you to set the minim/half-note, crotchet/quareter-note,quaver/8th-note as the basic beat value and then will calculate several different delay times based on different rhythmic ideas

This is very good information to know. Since you're using FL studio if you use image-line delay plugins(fruity delay, fruity delay 2, fruity delay bank) then you can right click on the 'time' knob and select time based on steps and it will be tempo synchronized.

Back