How many of you producer actually buy and use sample kits/loop packs?

Do you use loop packs?

• Total voters
I have purchased quite a number of sample packs, some good and others not so good. The key is to do research and actually understand what you will be getting for your money.

I think if you buy loops to get a sound it's ok, but you will never get your unique sounds, where people immediately recognize your beat, you wil use the same sounds, that 1.000.000 other people also use...

So to me, I'd rather make my own sounds and drums to get the sound that I wanna sound like..

I create a lot of my own beats, but also love using loops too. I buy a lot of sampled instruments, usually quirky stuff. I love the sound quality of Sample Magic and VIP. I believe that you can completely rework loops in creative ways to sound interesting. I also think that if you use just a few loops you can find a way to make them your own so that you don't run the risk of sounding like other producers. Still, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just make great music and use whatever the hell you think will get you there. If it inspires you, I say, use it.

I 've bought kits, I've downloaded free kits and I also have my own kit containing my favorite sounds I have downloaded and put my own twist to.

Never brought any ever...

I have downloaded free ones but I've never used a loop from one, only drums.

I did try and make a track using all the free loops I'd downloaded one day, but it didn't work very well so I gave up pretty quickly.

I use them all the time. Chop em up and add my fx like I would any other sample. It's not like you're creating the sounds you sample off vinyl. I'm not talking about the dj mustard mike will type kits. You gotta get shit like smokers delight very sick keyz etc

Last edited:
I found a great cheap/free resource at loophole samples, they have good packs for £5 well worth checkin, I will post links as soon as...

Sometimes it is cool to sample. It might give you ideas to make another beat. But of course it is better in my opinion to make your own.

if I hear a drum loop I like, all I do is cut up the sounds make a one shot pack and build my own beat with the sounds. I always try and refrain from using musical loops.

I don't ever use ready loops, but really like to rely on ready samples. One doesn't need to invent the wheel all over again and the time spent on producing new sounds can be spent better on mastering your new track.

I have NI Komplete.. I suspect it comes with literally every sample I might ever need in my life. Haven't even checked, really. I'm digging the Scarbee stuff because it works and sounds mostly like a real instrument. I would never pay for just a pack of loops of drums though. I'm drowning in samples, so I prefer the ones in my own library because I know my way around it, what every sound is and what I can get out of them. I almost never use my samples without heavily editing them. So finding what I need in there (and it's a total mess) is often quicker and easier than going through NI's well stacked and pristinely organised, tagged ones..

Then just about any effect or instrument you buy comes with a whole other stack of them. I'm getting heavily in the Twisted Tools stuff, they all come with prepacked samples.
I got Breaktweaker.. hey another collection of more drum samples than I'll ever need. All very high quality stuff from great producers.

Furthermore, flipping through too many samples turns me into Bill O'Reilly.

That's the problem with these things.. there's nothing inherently wrong with premade samples, loops or presets.. and there's nothing inherently wrong with people that use them.
I do see a lot of cats that don't even seem to be aware you can do such a thing as sound design. How incredibly easy it is to turn any sound into anything you want.. drums especially. Having all these luxurious sound packs and libraries has made a lot of producers super lazy. There's nothing inherently wrong with that either, as that makes me stand out more from the pack..

I need MOAR 808s!!! NOW!!! Like WTH?? You do realise that's simply a deep sine wave rapidly pitching down from the transient right? By the time you have found your library with them I have my synth spitting out
randomized versions of them into a tape saturator while I'm making coffee. Presto, 127 custom kicks to throw into something like S-Layer or Battery which can come up with an infinite amount of layering options and further variations on them. Yes, I should maybe be making/selling sample packs instead of hoarding it all for myself.. accepting bids now.

So the bottom line, you better throw in a very interesting plug-in or like an innovative Kontakt module to play it if you want to sell your sample pack to me.

High quality sample packs are absolutely necessary to produce commercial level EDM if that's what you're aiming for.

High quality sample packs are absolutely necessary to produce commercial level EDM if that's what you're aiming for.

lol.. either that... or you know, like actual skills? Work a synth, mix.. while you're at it, might even develop an idea of your own or two.
I wonder where Tiesto got his sample packs in the 90s? Must've all been on Napster, right?

lol.. either that... or you know, like actual skills? Work a synth, mix.. while you're at it, might even develop an idea of your own or two.
I wonder where Tiesto got his sample packs in the 90s? Must've all been on Napster, right?

If you're gonna be sarcastic maybe actually know what you're talking about. Of course things like sound design, composition, mixing, etc. are important but if you have shitty samples your track is going to sound like shit compared to commercially produced tracks. There's nothing wrong with using whatever samples you want to produce whatever kind of music you want, but for popular genres like trance/dubstep/future bass you're just going to sound bad with bad samples, and conversely you're not going to sound good just because you used good samples.

And for your point about Tiesto, sure? I don't know much about music back then. But if you use the samples he used back then to build a track today, it's going to sound pretty terrible compared to industry standard tracks which proves my point.

Last edited:
If you're gonna be sarcastic maybe actually know what you're talking about. Of course things like sound design, composition, mixing, etc. are important but if you have shitty samples your track is going to sound like shit compared to commercially produced tracks. There's nothing wrong with using whatever samples you want to produce whatever kind of music you want, but for popular genres like trance/dubstep/future bass you're just going to sound bad with bad samples, and conversely you're not going to sound good just because you used good samples.

And for your point about Tiesto, sure? I don't know much about music back then. But if you use the samples he used back then to build a track today, it's going to sound pretty terrible compared to industry standard tracks which proves my point.

Lol, that's funny..
You do realise this music is mostly made with synthesizers and drum computers, I hope?
Please look up some basic basics before you start acting like you know a lot of shit.. then in a few years, maybe come back to this post and know why I'm laughing right now.

Back