How many of you producer actually buy and use sample kits/loop packs?

Do you use loop packs?

• Total voters
I run a boutique sound shop and I can tell you alot of people buy our kits. I personally buy and support dope drum sample sites and refill sites (i'm on Reason). I dig banginbeats.com kits alot when I first got started. I think until you dive deeper into sound design, buying samples packs is standard.

Even if you dive deeper into sound design. There are some refills that pretty much make it absolutely useless for me to try and sample drums, pianos or abbey road sounding keyboards. Like reason pianos, drums, abbey roads, etc.
Synth are always a cool thing to play around with for sound designing. Thor in reason is really awesome. The modulation matrix can be a tad hard to figure out in the beginning though. I still feel like I only grasped a small part of it.
Anyway, check the Reaon refill post out to see what refills I have/bought/got for free.
I pay a couple of hundred every year on refills I'd say. I usually try to find the ones that'll do the same for free, but it's hard to top some of the paid ones.

Last edited:
If I was just starting out I'd just buy 1 or 2 and get everything else with mixing those 2 up. But no buying sample packs here.

I buy them all the time....its a producer like you and me on the other end, why not help them out?

I dont care much for loops, i mix n match drum kits all the time. Only purpose i find that it benefits is finding a nice melody to play your drums to, when composing.

I prefer to sample my drums from vinyl, I love the vintage sound from 70's records. It gives my tracks a bit of "history" for lack of a better term (if that makes any sense). There is absolutely nothing wrong with grabbing sounds from a sample pack as 95% of electronic music producers use Vengeance sample packs. As long as you make it your own. And if you hear a kick or snare on another song you like, just sample it. Believe me, that producer sampled those drums from someone else anyway.

Some will debate this but I've literally read hundreds of interviews and articles and everyone samples everyone. Just make it your own and don't copy someone else's style.

Let's not forget that all of this shit started with one person using two copies of a record and looping the break while someone else rapped over it.

Edit: I just had to come back after seeing the poll results. I'm not going to date myself by saying how long I've been into music production, but I've worked in record stores, met tons of other aspiring artists, and frequent other production forums and I will let all of you know right now that the "Not At All" and "All the time" results are backwards. FACT.

Last edited:
When I first started FL Studio about 2 years ago, I used sample packs exclusively (mostly the free ones).

Now, I use them every so often. I feel cheesy if I use too much sounds from packs in my tracks, so I try my best to compose everything from scratch.

All I need to do is master drums so I can finally let go of all these pack samples.

I feel really good about myself when I make something from scratch with limited pack samples - great feeling.

I must be the only dude that didn't love the Traumah Kits.... I dont know why but I found myself always skipping over that library, it just isn't what everybody was telling me it was- have a bunch of drums i'd rather use than those

Never loops, only oneshots!
Edit: I lied, I use Native Instruments Damage. It's epic.

Last edited:
the question is loops right? not drum-kits? who ever added drum-kits messed up, we are talking about loops in the poll right? I don't use loops, I have them and think they are neat but I do
use drum kits and sound effects right? but taking a loop of a hip hop drum track like is some garage band stuff. hahah btw my loops came with DAW software I did not buy them specifically. I have however bought
drum kits. for me I messed with them(loops) and couldn't seem to make them fit in right - and it strikes me as unoriginal as you can get.

Theres so many sample packs who give the users free rights with no copyright claims that theres just no reason to BUY samples. You can find them on the internet by just using google for free.

Back