How to make your 808 sound like Mike Wills

CJ Beatz

CJ Beatz
I know you probably asked yourself how Mike Will gets his 808's to sound so crunchy! I was trying to figure it out myself. The 808 sound before Mike Will made it came to the big industry scene, always seemed to sound the same way. But Mike made it sound so nice and crunchy (that's the best way I can explain it). After trying out all sorts of plugins and effects on the 808 I was almost at my whits end, and was going to give up trying to replicate that sound. Now, lets get to the goodies. The plugin I found which can give you that crunchy clean sound on your 808 is called Decapitator from soundtoys.com, it can deliver that sound you want on your 808! Play around with it to see if you can come up with a

new sound! I

would suggest using E on the style presets at the bottom, then using the mix lever on 3. This gave me that sound I was looking for. Good luck with this! Hope I was able to help you guys out a little. Happy beat-making!

Last edited:
You could buy Goldbaby's 808 sample pack. It has tons of variations of 808 samples ranging from normal to heavily saturated. Not much processing you'd have to do if you use those.

You could buy Goldbaby's 808 sample pack. It has tons of variations of 808 samples ranging from normal to heavily saturated. Not much processing you'd have to do if you use those.

Great idea! Show us something you made using that sample pack.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Great idea! Show us something you made using that sample pack.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Lol, this dude is commenting on a thread about how to make your drums sound good...

Yet you click his link and his beats sound like a constipated old lady taking a shit in an Ikea trash can.

Back