How do you make a sub bass on ableton???

Use a simple Sine wave using operate or Analog - it has served great for us.

Also you can get a VST like Rob Papen Suboom Bass for some serious subs - defintely worth checking out.

A sub bass is usually a sine or a triangle waveform. All substractive or FM synths can do it ! Just open Operator and use one of the oscillator with a sine wave ;-). If you want a sound with different texture, try to add a litlle bit of distorsion with a dynamic tube or a saturator.

sub basses are fairly simple to create...set your first oscillator to a sine wave....set your amplifier's envelope to the fastest attack time...and adjust the decay setting to your liking...the sustain and release should be set to zero...however, with certain synths like the ES2, i noticed that you get a little pop/click so giving a slight amount of release in your amp envelope should get rid of that should it occur...

a good approach to designing bass is to have the bass riff programmed in MIDI and have this play along with the kick while you are playing around with the parameters on your synth for the sub bass...this technique is used to ensure that your kick will not interfere with you sub bass...now since the sine wave has only a fundamental frequency, it contains no additional harmonics to be removed so playing with the filter's cutoff will have no effect...also remember that if your synth has a key track or key follow, make sure to turn this on to positive as it will open up the filter the further up the keyboard you are playing and will also add some movement to your sound as it relates to time...

you can also add a square wave on top of this sine wave if a sharper transient is required...the square wave should have a very fast amp attack, actually the fastest possible...play with the decay to your liking...now for this oscillator, turn the filter cutoff a little high...you can even further modulate this filter with a mod envelope to add some more movement in the filter...happy tweaking...let me know how this works out for you...

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

edit - i have found logic's ES2 to be one of the best synths for sub bass...even better than sylenth1 which is my favorite synth!

Back