How to create deep yet powerful bass/sub bass in Reason?

SonicJae

I want to make a loud booming, chest-rattling bass. Everytime I try, it is never loud enough, but is still very deep. I need pure, smooth, unwavering bass lines like these:

youtube (dot) com/watch?v=JHYZT4G9Lng
This one is a perfect example for a pure, booming, digital bassline. Please tell me all the ways there are to achieve this.

youtube (dot) com/watch?v=gMYU_J3bS0M
This one has a more... banging effect. So if you can teach me to create a powerful ghetto bass such as this, help me with that, too! Thanks.

Usimg Reason, dude. But thanks for trying to help.... I'll use that tutorial some other time, for when I'm making Juke or something.

I'm a Rreason user myself. You can do everything in this video with thor and the standard eq and compressor. If you're using Reason essentials, do everything with the subtractor.

OK. I'll see what I can do, but Thor seems better for this than Subtractor. Thanks. Oh, and I decided to follow you on Soundcloud to thank you.

You might need a better soundstage before you think about using EQs and compressors. Just saying...a lot of the older music didn't use none of that.....they just knew where to put the sounds in the sound stage. You can take just a week bass and filter and blow any other preset bass out the water if you know where you want it in your sound stage. So you may need proper monitoring or have to buy you some "speakers" because you don't understand the sound stage in your headphones and it's tricking you. YOU create the image first.....then you may find you never needed compressors and eqs at all anyway. I hardly use an EQ unless I'm sampling...and even them I use a filter insted which is on the sampler.

Yeah, dude. I totally understand what you're saying. My headphones are right-on just about, escpecially compared to my speakers. I actually overdid the dB on my speakers by listening to things much too loud... so now they can't reach as low or high. This probably happened in the past few days.

Last edited:
You use reason right? Try this......take ANY and I mean ablsolutely any bass patch in NNXT.
added-snare-to-nnxt.gif

See at the top where it says freq? Turn your speakers or headphones down first. Then turn that knob counter clockwise. BOOM!!! Want to have more fun? See where it says key poly? Change that to 1 and lift turn the release knob at the top clockwise to taste. Want to get even meaner? Load your two sine waves in the sampler....one being an octave higher than the other. Turn the higher octave sine waves down to taste. Adds a nice ring to the low sine. No need for any eq or compression or anything....just adjust your levels to pick at -12db on a peak meter setting. ALL OF YOUR SOUNDS. Turn your speakers or headphones up, and turn some stuff down untill the bass sounds like you want it since the bass is "important" to you on the track.

But like I said before....you will realize it's not the bass having some kind of special treatment, just how everything else sounds in relation to the bass. Because most low sub bass can't be heard on laptop and small speakers. So in "today's times" people are using special tricks like amping 808's and layering sines with other synths and blending them as they filter away most of the synths mid to high freqs........just so they can hear that there is an 808 there. But the down side to this is actually losing the power of the low bass. A clean 808 kills all of that ragidy 808 stuff people fiend for....but to a person listening on some "small speakers" they would swear that the 808 they can hear is more powerful. Til they get in the ride of someone with some major bump in trunk. lol....most of the average people bumpin don't have great systems really.....that one pitch of the low end usually have them saying "MAAAAAAAAN THIS SONG BE BUMPIN"......but you can't hear all of the other pitches in through the sub.....they seem like they are turned down....BUT THAT KICK......"WOOOMP"......then the sub....toooooooooooootoooooooooteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMteeeeeeeeeeetoooooooooooooBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM.

Then some people's "mixes" are just like that above. lmao! All of that cutting and don't know what they cutting.

That's... I know what you mean by the system thing. But the relation... that will require editing that I have not yet practiced. I'll come back later and share my results. Thanks.

*Edit* The bass is apparent, but I'm testing it by itself, without the track playing. I still need to test the two sines.

Last edited:
Surprised no one mention Parallel Compression, Scream, and Audiomatic. . . .those three alone will transform a bass. . .especially the
"Bottom" setting on Audiomatic

Back