How can I create my own Synths?

ls2013

I am not familiar with synth plugins and I would like to know how to create my own presets. I have never made anything with too many synth instruments and the few times I did use them I just used the default presets.
People are able to make specific sounding synths by ear after hearing it in a song and they can make their instruments (Saw, Square, etc) sound exactly like the one used in the song they heard and then save a preset.
I have have a list of songs using specific synths which I would like to be able to recreate by ear.
Are there any tutorials on the Synths that explains things like, terminology, what each instrument is supposed to sound like, how to create your own presets?

Try finding the vst Sylenth. It's a pretty amazing program and will give you a lot of knobs to tweak, turn, modify, etc to get whatever sounds you want. I would recommend it to anybody.

Thanks but I wasn't asking about the software that makes synths, I needed information about how to actually create specific sounding synths within the software, and the terminology used for the effects and type of instruments.

If you want to learn how to program synthesizer patches I would recommend starting out with something straight forward and basic such as TAL BassLine-101 which is similar to the Roland SH-101, I recommend it because you should be able to find plenty of tutorials for both.

Thanks for all your answers, I actually found a really good program that teaches you everything you need to know about Synth programming for anyone else who might be wondering. It's called Syntorial and it is a full featured synth along with video tutorials and challenges.

Back