How to add effects to JUST ONE PATTERN in FL Studio?

ronz.ombie

I know how to add effects to channels but I want to add some effects to a pattern which uses the same instruments (same channels) as other patterns. How do I add the effects to that pattern without affecting the sound of other patterns which use the same channels? Thanks.

You can rightclick on a knob/parameter (such as an effect's dry/wet) and select "Edit Events" and then you can pretty much do an automation only inside that specific pattern. This is really handy if you don't want too many small automation clips lying all over the place, for instance if you have a buildup riser or so you can edit the pitch rising inside the pattern using Edit Events and therefore you don't have to use automation for it.

However it will still have the effects active for all patterns lined up if several patterns have the same sound at the same time. The only thing you can do is edit the events in such way so that the effect isn't applied right when the sound hits where you want it dry - unless you may consider doing different versions of the sound and maybe use some parallel tracks that you automate instead.

The pros with Edit Events is that you can do much finer tuning and small adjustments, while the cons is that it's not as practical as regular automation. A good rule of thumb is to stick with regular automation and then use Edit Events only where needed or more suitable than automations.

another thing you can try is to render the pattern out to audio and open it in a new channel then add the effects you want and place where needed

Thanks rayzer. That's what I settled for. It seems like the easiest way although I assume it does result in a minor loss of quality since at the end that part would've been rendered twice.
And steffeeh I think I'll take a closer look at the Edit Events feature. That's something I've never actually used before.

Last edited:
Back