A good reason to not buy Massive, Sylenth or Nexus

scrapheaper

Massive was released in 2007
Sylenth was 2007
Nexus 2 was released in 2008.

They are all now really really old.
In 2008, Apple released the iphone 3G.
This was before Eminem released Relapse and before Dr Dre started selling headphones.

Now, all these synths are still great products that you can and should continue to use if you've already got them- you're not going to disadvantage yourself by doing so.

BUT

They still cost about the same amount (a lot! $$$)
If you're starting out and looking to buy a vst synth, get a newer one. Software has come a long way since then- you could have Serum (2014) or Omnisphere 2 (2015) which I've heard are both great

This is also a good reason why all y'all should send your old, obsolete Moog Modulars, Oberheim Xpanders and Jupiter 8s to me.

Thought those got updates.
Started using reason at 5, use 8 now and reason still has that same layout almost for a whole decade lol.
studio one is one of the recent daws, came out in 2009.
I've heard cubase was on the atari, love ai as a sampler :/

To put my opinion out there if that mattered it'd make more sense sticking to something modular.

I see the reasoning but what matters:
If it is still healthily supported and not fargone like alchemy.
If it still gets updates every 1-3 years.
If it is compatible with the OS and supported.
If it runs with minimal issues on said OS.
If it will have support period.

There's freewares to get the feet wet. Waldorf wavetable creator is basically another zebra but that's beside the point.
Semi modular and modular setups last a while.

They've been updated, but only for compatibility. No new features.

Not that the age of plugins is a problem for me - I think what scrapheaper is really hinting at is that even though the plugins themselves are still just fine, it's odd that it seems as if most people still haven't found anything else during all these years. There are only a handful of synth plugins that you see suggested all the time: Massive, Sylenth, Nexus, Omnisphere and well...that's about it (ok, Komplete - if you can take it as a single product - gets a lot of mentions as well). Hell, I still see Hypersonic - which has been discontinued for almost a decade now - suggested more often than, say, u-He's critically acclaimed Diva or Zebra. It's as if most people don't even bother to look at what's out there and instead being content with what someone equally ignorant told them to use.

There should be a sticky thread that could get updated with links every now and the to stuff right at the top in the getting started sub forum.
Or even just the names of them updated every once in a blue moon in some tables, and lists of daws too.

Hell, I still see Hypersonic - which has been discontinued for almost a decade now - suggested more often than, say, u-He's critically acclaimed Diva or Zebra. It's as if most people don't even bother to look at what's out there and instead being content with what someone equally ignorant told them to use.
This
Also this. If you've got sylenth and you love it and use it for everything, stick with it by all means.
Just saying, if you're starting out, and looking for a synth, I can't see why you'd get sylenth and not diva etc

I get that. One of the first synths I actually dug into was zebra 2, glad I messed with it when i did tbh.
Personally I think massive's lack of custom wavetables and stuff is just not worth it in comparison.

Aside from reason, reaktor and kontakt, that zebra... and waldorf wavetable creator...
That can be solved with stickies though. Garritan too. Uvi. People probably skipped halion[isn't that in cubase ai halion sonic lol]
hypersonic 2 is just unforgiveable. Alchemy was nice till you know...

Thought those got updates.
Started using reason at 5, use 8 now and reason still has that same layout almost for a whole decade lol.
studio one is one of the recent daws, came out in 2009.
I've heard cubase was on the atari, love ai as a sampler :/

To put my opinion out there if that mattered it'd make more sense sticking to something modular.

I see the reasoning but what matters:
If it is still healthily supported and not fargone like alchemy.

There's freewares to get the feet wet. Waldorf wavetable creator is basically another zebra but that's beside the point.
Semi modular and modular setups last a while.

We have a ms2000br by Korg,
purchased somewhere around 2005 or so.

haven't found anything like that since, all the knobs, easy to use, great MIDI ability,
FULLY Editable and maybe the best toy we ever bought.

It can resonate itself and really has the cleanest sound I ever heard.
Of course, mainstream music itself went beyond reason after 2008, but still,
vintage gear rules!!!

Also have a roland keyboard with roland quality sounds.
at 24 kHz, nothing beats the real deal,
instrument which are made to sound like instruments,
not tablets which can also be used to glue sounds together or phones (MTF telephones man!) that can act like a $gazillion studio.

Those hardware toys are more then the great producers of the past could ask for and now go like cheap crab on the market.
Get your hand on some real gear, go vintage!!

There's software fellas and hardware fellas.
I started on software and will stick to that plus controllers.

But the akai ren 2 might be the first hardware hardware I touch depending on how that goes.

A good reason not to listen to scrapheaper... HIM STARTING THIS THREAD.

Those synths have seen upgrades. Nexus is way better than it was. Continuing to buy it will likely fund the next major improvement. Soon we will have even more direct control over the effects arps built into a seq patch, changing the routings, etc.

Ok Synths can be got for much cheaper, like Z3ta on promo (£14 i just got it for). Sylenth never seems to hit promo but v3 is due to drop. Not sure what's holding them back. I'm waiting for this before purchase. Thing with Sylenth as it's so well known, you want a patch, you can get it. The intuitiveness of it is second to non. It's so simple in it's lay out, one will learn and start to grasp synthesis in no time at all.

There is only one good reason to not buy those 3 synths...

NOT BEING INTO ELECTRONIC MUSIC PRODUCTION.

If you are, buy them, right now and stop with the delay.

https://refx.cleverbridge.com/516/purl-order?cart=43445&continueurl=https://refx.com/nexus/

Komplete : Synths : Massive : Pricing | Products

https://www.lennardigital.com/store/

Personally I think they are quite cheap, especially during sales. Nexus, due to its 15th Birthday has extended theirs. Go now... BUY IT!!! You's have missed out on Massive though. I got it for a steal.

Last edited:
Sylenth and massive are synths, but I just feel as if nexus[haven't used it since 2013] does not give you as much control as an actual synth.
I'm not fond of omnisphere either but if it was between that and nexus I'd heavily suggest that over nexus.

But nexus is certainly no hypersonic 2 though.

Most synthesizers share very similar controls and control schemes with similar effect labeling.
Although the code used to create them varies.

You learn a subtractive synth, you learned them all. Same applies to all types except synplant.
Massive, touched this one years back I think this is the same type as zebra.

Back