Garageband - Never U Mind the Haters - Beast of a Tool!!!!!

Rate your experience using Garageband

• Garageband? More like GARBAGEband

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eh, not bad for free software.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Garageband is a BEAST!!!!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Romani123

Lot of people talk trash about GB. Say it is garbage, say it is half baked Logic, say you can't produce quality tracks with it, say if you use it you are amateur. Don't mind the haters though, because Garageband is all you need when your producing on a fixed budget or are just a geek like me and like to mess around once and a while with some music. Here is a short list of key points to why GB is the truth (links below to some sample compositions, please reply/share with your own!).

-Sampling: You can load, loop, change speed, change pitch, cut up, add effects to samples. As versatile as other software, no, but enough to get the job done as long as you have the patients ( https://soundcloud.com/mr4227/random-samples ) - All beats made w/GB most of which contain samples.

-Drums: You can load, loop, change speed, cut up drum breaks that you download from the internet (tons available on youtube, just use an online site that converts youtube video into MP3 and upload it into GB).

-Instrumentals: Download for free the expansion of the instrument library and have 100s of pro level instruments at your fingertips. Use effects to further manipulate sounds to get them sounding more crisp, deeper, fatter, etc......

-VST: Once you max out the pre-loaded instruments simply go online and download (free or pay) VST plug-ins. The sky is the limit at this point. If GB feels limiting in one area or another, no good keys pre-loaded, no problem get the VST, sampler too limited for you, no problem get the VST.

-Vocals: Records vocals, change your tune w/autotune, add effects, etc....

A lot of people on this forum talk about graduating from Garageband, buying Logic or going another route, but I'd suggest you save your $ and first see what GB has to offer. Youtube search "How to make hip hop Garageband samples" and find tons of videos on how to sample. Youtube "How to make Trap Beat Garagaeband" and find tons of videos on making trap track.

Yes, some videos people make are low quality, but others are pro quality. It matters how deep YOU want to go with the software, not the software itself. Anything in life takes time and energy, even if you get the $1K-2K software, you'll be producing low quality music if you don't spend the time energy needed to perfect YOUR craft.

-Garageband beats, various style, samples, synths, etc...

Do you use Garageband? Thinking of switching to something else because it is too limited for you? Let us know, someone here may show you how you can use it to make what you want without spending any extra $!

Last edited:
Since all daws have access to all of the same tools, it is useless to bash one or the other.
Rewire, external vsthosts or advanced midi/emi.

Agree, it's definitely more powerful than people realize and great for beginners. However, I found AudioTool was more user-friendly than GarageBand.

I don't use Garageband even though I'm on a Mac, but I agree it's an awesome tool. Very capable and a very good introduction to the world of digital audio production.

Back