FL Studio Step Sequencer Question

SimonT

Hi All!

On FL Studio, when you make a pattern and name it say, "Drums" but then you make another pattern and call it say, "Piano".

Does anyone else think it strange that it combines these 2 patterns in the same step sequencer box?

When I was first getting into FL Studio this confused the hell out of me. Does anybody else think it'd make more sense to have separate Step Sequencers for each pattern or at least one Step Sequencer which changes for each pattern? So if you select Drums, the pattern rows displayed would be something like Kick, Snare, Clap, Hi-Hat and thus displayed 4 rows in the Step Sequencer. Then if you say selected Piano, the box would display 1 row with the piano in it?

I haven't missed something have I? you can't already do this can you? or is there another reason having it all combined makes more sense once getting more advanced or into the software which I haven't discovered yet?

Thanks!

The way that works seems to be a left over from the way Fruityloops used to work back in the day. All it had was the step sequencer patterns and a simple playlist that triggered them.
I now generally have one sound/loop/thing per pattern and work via the playlist, but being to able to have multiple sounds in one pattern is kinda handy sometimes..

There's a way to split patterns by channel.. not sure where it is.
I generally don't use it, because it gets messy fast if you have a lot of sounds in one pattern and don't name things correctly.

Ya, all of the instruments stay in the step sequencer. You just have to make new patterns. Naming something doesn't change the properties of it. It just organizes the playlist (thing on the right) when you have a lot of patterns in it.

Each pattern works as a separate thing from the tracklist. that's how pattern based daws work.
In those I would put all instruments in the same pattern and clone the patterns to edit them for speed.

In linear daws I'd do the exact opposite.

^ yup, when you want to change a drum pattern slightly, you can clone the original drum pattern and move a high hat or something for quick changes. You'll get two different patterns faster than actually building them separately.

Last edited:
Back