FL Studio/Reason

Triptye

Maybe this is a silly question but I recently installed Reason on my laptop after exclusively using FL Studio. I love me some FL but I need to start experimenting with other things. I love the work flow of FL studio but the synths in Reason seem to sound alot better. With that being said, does anybody know if there is a way to rout the Reason synths through FL studio?

figured it out. Found some vids and what not after looking for a bit. yay! :) Apparently youtube has all the answers.

you can use both, How to rout them? I don't know but, both are different have different sound every MUSIC PRODUCTION program has something special that you can create in reason and take it down to FL studio and get more CRAZY SOUND.

Last edited:
You have to open a rewire channel in FLS and select Reason. Then you can route that through midi channels for each sound you want to use. It's pretty simple once you figure it out. It adds a new level of creativity and I love it. :)

I used reason for a few months and then had to go back to fl studio. I dunno I just like the workflow better I suppose

I also prefer the FL studio workflow but I prefer the sound design of Reason. Now that I know how to rewire Reason into FLS I can have the best of both worlds. :D

[...]the synths in Reason seem to sound alot better.

I'm guessing that you mean that the synth presets sound better. Not really a fair comparison if you're using Combis in Reason, since those are multiple synths and/or effects stacked together.

Do what you want, though! It just seems to me that the bundled instruments aren't really a good basis for judging a DAW.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
I'm guessing that you mean that the synth presets sound better. Not really a fair comparison if you're using Combis in Reason, since those are multiple synths and/or effects stacked together.

Do what you want, though! It just seems to me that the bundled instruments aren't really a good basis for judging a DAW.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Why is it not a fair comparison? Combis and patcher are very similar. You can do basically the same thing either way, I just prefer the sound design process in reason and the workflow process in FL studio.

Why is it not a fair comparison? Combis and patcher are very similar. You can do basically the same thing either way, I just prefer the sound design process in reason and the workflow process in FL studio.

Yes, you're right, Patcher and Combis are very similar. You can do essentially the same things -- it's a very nice setup either way.

However, anytime I hear someone say "The synths in X sound much better than the synths in Y", I assume that they're comparing the stock presets. My experience tells me that they usually are. Hence there are many people who don't realize that reFX Nexus isn't a synth.

I don't believe that FL Studio comes with any Patcher presets. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reason, however, comes with all sorts of Combi presets which include reverbs, delays, compression, multi-band processing, and other "sonic sweeteners". It's not like a direct comparison between FL's 3xOSC and Reason's Subtractor.

So what I'm getting at is that these noobs are listening to the tones as they scratch the surface. They're not designing their own sounds.
Which do you think will sound more polished?
A: Combi in Reason consisting of a stacked Malstrom and Thor routed through an M-Class Compressor, The Echo, and an RV7000, or
B: A Sytrus preset.

It's just simply not a fair comparison.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Although Reason is a lot harder to learn how to use than FL it's way better in terms of sound quality and you actually get good sounds with it(unlike FL which only has some dope bass lines, the stock drums are just horrible)

I wish I learned how to use Reason rather than FL but I'm in too deep as it is but if that's not the case with you start ****ing with it and ditch FL

Yes, you're right, Patcher and Combis are very similar. You can do essentially the same things -- it's a very nice setup either way.

However, anytime I hear someone say "The synths in X sound much better than the synths in Y", I assume that they're comparing the stock presets. My experience tells me that they usually are. Hence there are many people who don't realize that reFX Nexus isn't a synth.

I don't believe that FL Studio comes with any Patcher presets. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reason, however, comes with all sorts of Combi presets which include reverbs, delays, compression, multi-band processing, and other "sonic sweeteners". It's not like a direct comparison between FL's 3xOSC and Reason's Subtractor.

So what I'm getting at is that these noobs are listening to the tones as they scratch the surface. They're not designing their own sounds.
Which do you think will sound more polished?
A: Combi in Reason consisting of a stacked Malstrom and Thor routed through an M-Class Compressor, The Echo, and an RV7000, or
B: A Sytrus preset.

It's just simply not a fair comparison.

-Ki
Salem Beats

True. If you are going to compare presets Reason wins hands down. And no I'm pretty sure there are no patcher presets. I get what you're saying though.

Although Reason is a lot harder to learn how to use than FL it's way better in terms of sound quality and you actually get good sounds with it(unlike FL which only has some dope bass lines, the stock drums are just horrible)

I wish I learned how to use Reason rather than FL but I'm in too deep as it is but if that's not the case with you start ****ing with it and ditch FL

Although I do prefer the sound design in reason, the VSTis in FL really aren't that bad. They've gotten much better over the years. I agree that the stock drums are crap but I find that no matter what program I am using, I end up using kicks and other percs from a sample pack.

Reason is a more professional package. Way different than other DAWs in terms of workflow, but still more professional. FL Studio is marketed towards noobs, that's why it has the pretty colors and corny ass plugin names. It was designed for corny wanna-be ******* making wack ass beats in their bedrooms. Once in a while someone will make a hit with it --which can be done with any software-- but that doesn't make it "pro".

Reason is a more professional package. Way different than other DAWs in terms of workflow, but still more professional. FL Studio is marketed towards noobs, that's why it has the pretty colors and corny ass plugin names. It was designed for corny wanna-be ******* making wack ass beats in their bedrooms. Once in a while someone will make a hit with it --which can be done with any software-- but that doesn't make it "pro".

^rly? FLS is a very powerful DAW. It's all a matter of preference.

The plugins retain their names from a bygone era when FL was known as Fruity Loops.

The program was called Fruity Loops in early versions because the developer was having fun developing the program long before it ever became a DAW. It was simply a loop making tool with 9 available patterns. The name made sense given its purpose at the time.

If you would have asked me in 2000, I would have to tell you that Fruity Loops was not a capable DAW. Big studio people would give you about the same response regarding Pro Tools in the early 90s. Things change.

-Ki
Salem Beats

The plugins retain their names from a bygone era when FL was known as Fruity Loops.

The program was called Fruity Loops in early versions because the developer was having fun developing the program long before it ever became a DAW. It was simply a loop making tool with 9 available patterns. The name made sense given its purpose at the time.

If you would have asked me in 2000, I would have to tell you that Fruity Loops was not a capable DAW. Big studio people would give you about the same response regarding Pro Tools in the early 90s. Things change.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Excellent detective work sherlock. When's your next case? We all know the history of FL Studio (Fruity Loops) but that wasn't the point.

/facepalm

And the other thread was closed :*(

You were getting beat down and your homies came to save you from further embarrassing yourself. I'll tell you what... I'll take that asinine comment you left in FL Studio thread and post it over at UAD and Gearslutz and we can continue it over there.

Last edited:
Excellent detective work sherlock. When's your next case? We all know the history of FL Studio (Fruity Loops) but that wasn't the point.

/facepalm

And the other thread was closed :*(

You were getting beat down and your homies came to save you from further embarrassing yourself. I'll tell you what... I'll take that asinine comment you left in FL Studio thread and post it over at UAD and Gearslutz and we can continue it over there.

Here is fine. I'm having all kinds of fun. :)

If you read closely, you'll see that the names are "corny" because the developer was having fun way before he took the project seriously, and that the names simply stuck throughout the software's evolution.

It's kinda like how your mom probably came up with some cheesy-sounding and popular "baby name" that fit you well as a baby, and she probably didn't think about how it fit you as an adult.
It's also remarkably similar to how you chose a cheesy-sounding forum name ("macbeat") and a goofy-looking avatar -- yet now, you want us to take you seriously.
"Hey, nobody listen to 'macbeat', his name is cheesy, so therefore nothing he says is credible."
Fallacy -- you're the one who needs to look it up. I'm getting bored with Googling things for you. Here you go: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Fallacy

Do you use a Mac, by the way?

Wanna take bets on whether I use FL Studio? No fair if you look at the "Top 5 DAWs" thread first.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Reason's synths sound better out of the box. Presets or not, let's be real, a synth's presets are what most people judge it's abilities by. They serve as an initial display of power. AFTER you check out the presets, you get into the guts of it and see what it can do as far as sound design goes, but the presets are the starting point and gives you the initial first impression. That being said, Reason'n synths sound better out of the box (NOT including Combinator).

I'm a FL STUDIO user all the way though. FL Studio has very powerful VSTs (including Sytrus) and at the end of the day, offers more possibilities (in my opinion). Reason has nice synths, but the interface is cumbersome, and the piano roll may as well be non-existant as was obviously tacked on as an afterthought.

As far as Macbeats saying FL Studio is for noobs...I could go down the list of industry producers who regularly use the program, but I'm sure that route has been taken in every argument like this, and it's redundant. But I can tell by that statement that you have to be ignorant on the subject altogether and the extent of the depth of FL Studio. I'll just say you should do a little more research before you make blanket statements like that in the future.

Back