Is FL Studio Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer Reason - FL always seemed kinda amateurish to me. But its all right - it doesnt block you any way.

I think it should have more 'official' support by way of use in education courses. For example, there is such a thing as "Ableton Certified Training" but no such thing for FL Studio that I'm aware of. If you go to Point Blank Online Music School you'll see Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Native Instruments and Cubase Courses but no FL Studio Courses!

No. When you consider the producers that use it today in hip-hop (just about all the young cats that are hot). I think all the reasons its so popular (easy to crack), is one of the reasons the company has not taken the product to the next level. But the results speak for themselves, I just think the other companies have better resources or better business plans.

If anything underrated. It factually has more functionality in it's realm than anything else on the market that targets production/beats over recording(Maschine, Workstation Keyboards, Drum Machine Samplers/Sequencers, MPC Ren, Reason, Live)and close to the same functionality as any other DAW(surpasses more than it falls short to IMO).

FL Studio is one of the world's most popular and exciting music production systems. I am strongly disagree from this statement that this studio is overrated.

I wouldn't say so. People like Skream and Benga, the fathers of dubstep, have built whole careers using it and they're still top of the game. It's also good for beginners. I had FL on my computer and found it pretty easy to use. I got a Reason demo and tried using it and I just couldn't get the hang of it lol.

It's a good Daw to start off with, but i didn't like how it flowed i guess is the best way to put it, I started on Fl myself and moved on but was a great start and really basic to start learning. Like it was said earlier the reason it is so popular is it is easy to crack (Pirate)
but you get what you pay for, overall great for beginners but this is just my opinion

Not overrated, probably more underrated but its slowly getting its shine especially compared to the perception a few years back.

I think fl is a great DAW that does not get the credit it deserves. I would love to see it on Mac without having to do the run around of installing windows

It's only looked at as being amateurish because so many "amateurs" use it, since it's the easiest one to grab a torrented copy of. It's been my favorite daw for years, and like others I have also been tempted to switch since a lot more "pro" people looked down on it. Truth is, lots of pros use it. I agree with some of the others on here by saying if anything, it is extremely UNDER rated.

It's a solid and versatile performer, and an easy introduction to understanding how DAW's work and some of the common features many share, it's probably the most popular Daw out there, but many of today's competitors have gained ground or surpassed, that said, there are some pretty amazing FL studio users out there, music software development can only continue to improve, FL studio included.

I've been using FL Studio recently, and might make the switch permanently. So no, I do not think it is overrated - I was in fact blown away with how powerful it is and how easy it was to get into as well.

Last edited:
I've seen many responses to this question by people like Porter Robinson and Madeon who both use FL Studio.
Here is what Porter had to say about FL studio..

"[FONT=open sans, sans-serif]At first, FL stood out to me just because it was vastly more intuitive and usable than ACID, the program I was producing with before. I had no idea what i was getting into, though. I discovered FL through the recommendation of a friend, and the fully functional trial was integral to helping me get a feel for the program before I took the plunge. I use FL for virtually everything. I'm programming a majority of my bass sounds with Sytrus and 3xOSC, and it's because the slide functionality of FL's piano roll is amazingly useful. I would pretty much always prefer to manually sequence a vibrato using slides than use an LFO. God, there's way too many awesome FL features to list. I'm going to forget tons. I definitely couldn't live without Parametric EQ 2. Its visual component is absolutely irreplaceable. The new playlist, that eliminates pattern blocks, is incredible. It's the change I'd been wishing for for years. Edison is also absolutely critical to my workflow. Hard cuts are crucial to the complextro style I produce, so processing audio with Edison and using its linear phase equalizer to get all my chops to roughly the same color saves me so much time."[/FONT]

[FONT=open sans, sans-serif]the full article is here [/FONT]Porter Robinson - Power Users List

FL Studio 11 is the only ''decent'' DAW upgrade as of late that's actually added significant features to the fold. Live for example, took 4 years to release a half-arsed upgrade. And on top of that, charge a retarded fee for it. Same with Pro Tools.

FL Studio updates are also... FREE!

In my opinion, it is not overrated, but it's definitely the most popular DAW because it's been more available to people over the last few years. Also the access to thousands of synths made by independent programmers makes it more functional. The fact that there are many videos and tutorials on youtube that help anyone become a beginner producer, is what makes FL Studio the simplest approach to take the first steps in producing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back