Is Fl Studio better than Pro Tools 10?

Hitman8429

Hitman
I've been using fruity loops for almost 5 years now and I love it. The thing is, I am going to Full Sail now and they require you to use Pro Tools. I was wondering if one is better than the other/ if I'm going to have problems transitioning. Any response and opinion is encouraged. Please let me know what you think!

I don't think that either DAW is overall better than the other. However, I know what you mean. That first learning curve when transitioning from one DAW to another can be a little annoying, but you'll figure it out. I recently (just last night) made the transition from FL to Ableton. I'm still having a little trouble adapting, but its coming along. :)

The biggest thing is understanding where everthing is in the DAW.

Depends on who you ask. I'd say FL is "arguably" as good/better than Pro Tools and vice versa. That's saying alot for a program(FL) that not too long ago was considered a joke by the majority of the music world. Now...only by an extremely small minority.

Thanks for your responses guys, I'm nervous about switching just because I've come to know FL Studio so well. I just have a hunch that pro tools will not be anywhere near as user friendly as FL. Guess I'll find out when it comes in the mail!

Pro Tools and FL Studio are two totally different beasts... if you just make beats, FL Studio is the way to go, but if you plan on being a professional and having clients come to your studio, you pretty much have to have Pro Tools, Nuendo or something of the sort; or they wont take you seriously... Its sad but if you dont use Pro Tools you are immediately looked at as being an amateur, when in reality Pro Tools isn't all that good at any one thing, but it does so many things decently that it became the standard in the industry...

See that scares me. I feel like FL is going to be better in my opinion. Pro Tools seems like it's going to be all numbers, values, parameters, etc. while FL is mostly visual. Not to mention its broad capabilities with VSTi's. I use over a hundred different VST synths and a ton of effects that go along with them. I feel as though pro tools won't be able to compete with that.

Honestly, I've used a few DAWs and I think it's really just how the producer handles it. They all "technically" work the same way, it's just all in the producer's capabilities. I'd definitely recommend reading up on any manuals that you can find. Reading the manuals is essential, that way you can learn where everything is quickly.

Yea I'll definitely read any manuals that I get. The only problem is remembering everything that you read. That's why manuals are usually useless to me. I have to physically find whatever it is in the program and play with it for a minute before I start to understand how it works. But that's just me.

FL Studio is primarily a pattern-based sequencer. You build pieces and arrange those pieces to make a song. Other pattern based sequencers include Live and Maschine.

Pro Tools is primarily a linear sequencer. The song is one large sequence of notes/audio. Other linear sequencers include Cubase, Logic, and REAPER.

Although there is some feature overlap, the paradigm is totally different:
- Pro Tools and other linear sequencers aim to strike a good balance between composition and engineering workflow. If you're doing an equal amount of commercial beatmaking/songwriting, mixing, recording, and mastering for other people, a linear sequencer is designed to offer a solid workflow for each of these processes and should work out well for you.
- FL and other pattern-based sequencers, on the other hand, are designed to ease the composition process at the cost of hindering the engineering workflow a bit. If you're primarily making beats and only mixing/mastering your own instrumental tracks, a pattern-based sequencer makes this process easier for some people.

Ki
Salem Beats

EDIT:
P.S., here's an intelligent discussion regarding pattern-vs-linear sequencers on KVR: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4456440

Last edited:
so this sucks. basically you guys are telling what i don't want to hear. I'm not doing anything commercial, yet. I just started classes at Full Sail and they send you pro tools. I really hope it works out =)

FL Studio is primarily a pattern-based sequencer. You build pieces and arrange those pieces to make a song. Other pattern based sequencers include Live and Maschine.

Pro Tools is primarily a linear sequencer. The song is one large sequence of notes/audio. Other linear sequencers include Cubase, Logic, and REAPER.

Although there is some feature overlap, the paradigm is totally different:
- Pro Tools and other linear sequencers aim to strike a good balance between composition and engineering workflow. If you're doing an equal amount of commercial beatmaking/songwriting, mixing, recording, and mastering for other people, a linear sequencer is designed to offer a solid workflow for each of these processes and should work out well for you.
- FL and other pattern-based sequencers, on the other hand, are designed to ease the composition process at the cost of hindering the engineering workflow a bit. If you're primarily making beats and only mixing/mastering your own instrumental tracks, a pattern-based sequencer makes this process easier for some people.

Ki
Salem Beats

EDIT:
P.S., here's an intelligent discussion regarding pattern-vs-linear sequencers on KVR: KVR: Are You using a 'Pattern' based DAW ?

I have to respectfully disagree. While a few vers ago, FL was pattern based. Newer versions give you the option of pattern/linear/or a combination of the 2. Much Like Sonar has recently added features of a pattern based sequencer to diversify to both ways of producing.

Reason also recently introduced both "blocks" and "audioclips" for a new angle on both ways to produce. As technology grows, gaps are bridged and all this stuff is ultimately becoming identical besides the smallest details that are left to consumer choice.

in my opinion, stay with what your comfortable with and imrpove there and master it and get all vst's for it

Thanks for your honest opinions guys. I really don't have a choice tho. I'm paying 60 grand to go to full sail and if they say pro tools i say pro tools. they say jump, i say jump, etc.

It can't hurt you to have and know Pro Tools around especially since they gave it to you for school. IMO when working in certain industries you should look into learning certain tools. Office people don't care if you know how to use yahoo or gmail you need to know how to use their email software. Graphics artists should know photoshop and its a good idea for people working in pro audio to know Pro Tools even if you do not use it.

Xabitin, I can respect that. I haven't really looked at it that way. God it sucks I have to wait another month before I get pro tools though. I wanna dig around in it so bad!

Back