Is Fl Studio better than Pro Tools 10?

Pro Tools is the industry standard because it can record so well. At least thats what i seems like I'm hearing. Not the standard for composing music tho. In my opinion at least.

I have to respectfully disagree. While a few vers ago, FL was pattern based. Newer versions give you the option of pattern/linear/or a combination of the 2. Much Like Sonar has recently added features of a pattern based sequencer to diversify to both ways of producing.

Reason also recently introduced both "blocks" and "audioclips" for a new angle on both ways to produce. As technology grows, gaps are bridged and all this stuff is ultimately becoming identical besides the smallest details that are left to consumer choice.

I tried v10, still seemed pattern-based to me.

What I'm talking about isn't the capabilities of the DAW, but the paradigm of the DAW. A DAW with some linear workstation features can still be a pattern-based sequencer at-heart. The developers of a DAW can add as many features as they like, but the DAW will still have a predominant workflow it was designed around, although working in other ways is possible -- in the same sense that swimming upstream is possible.

FL is still pattern-based -- it's just a little easier to compose songs with the new focus on clips rather than the older-styled blocks.

-Ki
Salem Beats

^^^That statement is only supported by your lack of experience in the program. I'd say the same if you argued the linear/pattern base of anything from Ableton live to Reason to SONAR, and I'm not "experienced in these beyond looking at other peoples works in them and seeing that they utilized the tools and made the program do what they wanted.

I've seen sessions from FL that are identical to ones in Pro Tools in every way because of how the user routed and sequenced things.

Last edited:
Pro Tools is the industry standard because it can record so well. At least thats what i seems like I'm hearing. Not the standard for composing music tho. In my opinion at least.

Pro Tools became a standard because it was the first program that most audio engineers accepted as a majority. Its a program that highly catered to audio engineers for years.

I just feel like composing will be more of a challenge/headache in Pro Tools. FL makes it so easy. Or maybe I've just been using it for so long that that's what it feels like. Anyway I appreciate all of your opinions. Really looking for someone that's had both programs and has used them in depth. Want to know specific pros and cons of each.

They both sound the same but Pro Tools is better for editing audio and FL Studio is better for creating drums patterns, especially the trap style patterns.

You need a decent drum kit for FL Studio though as the stock ones are garbage. I've a really good one on Tradebit called Lex Luger 96khz 24bit 700mb.

tradebit.com/visit.php/215930/product/-/154007582

Last edited by a moderator:
lol I have every lex luger drum kit available. Not to mention thousands of other kicks, snares, hi hats, sound effects, and so much more. Talk about days of sitting on the comp and just downloading crap nonstop. But it was well worth it because the possibilities are endless. Especially with layering.

Back