FL Studio to Ableton Live

Van_Sandee

Hi guys,I am currently using fl studio.Anyone here using fl studio before and then switch to ableton live?
I am thinking to switch to ableton.I saw some basic tutorials on ableton and i think i like its simplicity
and the user interface.

Does ableton can do what fl studio can do? and does fl studio can do what ableton can do?
I am into remixing,bootleg,edits for now.

Hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hey man, first off i started with fl myself, and i moved into ableton and love the way it's set up, I've been using it for about a year now, its a great daw and the sampler and warp feature can be great for sampling, for example ski beatz uses ableton and he does alot of sampling. I use it for rap, trap, dirty south, r&b. It is a really popular program for dubstep and electronic if thats what you do? but can be used for everything, i would suggest trying out a demo to see for yourself, but in my opinion i think its flows nice and you can get some good sounds out of it. Most my music is made in ableton so if you want you can check out my music in my signature and 99% of the beats were made in ableton, Good Luck

Thanks dexta,Yes i am into electronic dance music also.I want to do some edits,remixing stuff like that.By the way nice tunes man.

it's all about workflow I like FL Studio and can do everything I want to do
I don't need anything else
I brought the VSTs I need/want
I brought the drumkits/samples I need/want

and can compose electronic/dance/rap/trap/dubstep/traditonal gospel/sample-based/RnB

but Ableton Live seems to be the new FL Studio
like a few years ago everyone was using FL Studio and tons of things going on with FL Studio
now everyone is jumping on the Ableton Live bandwagon

-Coach Antonio

I recently bought Ableton Suite after using FL Studio exclusively. I've found that 99% of the things that Ableton can do, FL can also do. It's just a matter of how it's done. Workflow is the key. I prefer how Ableton does automation. I prefer the the clean look of Ableton and the fact that i don't have to have all those little windows open. I like Drum Rack in Ableton and i like how easy it is to edit individual clips. As for FL Studio, I prefer the piano roll, the overall stability of the program as far as crashes are concerned, the way the mixer is set up, free updates for life... Blah blah blah blah blah...

I could go on and on but the bottom line is that these are all personal workflow preferences and they are specific to me. I love FL and i'm going to grow to love Ableton. Ableton is, financially speaking, a pretty hefty investment. I don't regret buying it but I haven't noticed any improvement in my abilities or talent... UNFORTUNATELY!!! :4theloveofgod:

I got the lite version of ableton 8, it came with my AKai mpd32, never really checked it out... I wonder about how was the learning curve when making the transition to ableton from FL. I really don't have the time to learn a new daw, but I really want to experience something else other than FL... I just hate automation in FL lol. If anyone can share their learning curve experience... that would be dope.

I got the lite version of ableton 8, it came with my AKai mpd32, never really checked it out... I wonder about how was the learning curve when making the transition to ableton from FL. I really don't have the time to learn a new daw, but I really want to experience something else other than FL... I just hate automation in FL lol. If anyone can share their learning curve experience... that would be dope.

The learning curve for Ableton isn't bad, especially once you understand how clips work. I really would bother trying to switch unless you have a version beyond Lite as it is very limited.

yeah i will agree, learning curve isn't bad, but you will have to learn how to do things certain ways, all it is, is practice and experience, but the thing i really do like about ableton is the cleanliness of it and workflow, but everybody is different and you just gotta experiment and find out what works best for you.

Thanks guys, boy I tell ya... Don't know if I have it in me for the trial an error process again lol. Sometimes learning a new daw makes me feel all noobish again lol.

It was refreshing to learn Ableton for me. After using a DAW for several years your regular DAW might feel more at home...but it also feels good to start learning stuff again. Idk I used FL before and certain things about it were counter intuitive for my workflow, I found things felt right once I got the swing of Ableton. I mean if you start out with FL you probably will be highly addicted to the step sequencer and feel like its a necessity to your workflow, but that was something big that separates the two. I never really liked how the patterns worked in FL...But I loved how scenes and clips worked in Ableton...Can have each clip unique...without being like pattern 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on. Every clip is contained and can loop as long as you want it to without throwing it in your overall song timeline. I wanna do a real deep comparison with screenshots...but I don't want it to seem very biased because its really all preference.

I will say this: As FL users we are spoiled by how many Youtube tutorials are available. There are thousands of really good FL Tutorials out there... Unfortunately, there are millions of bad ones too! There are not as many Ableton tutorials but there are some really good ones. It took me a good week to actually start to making music that i wanted to save and continue working on in Ableton. I have had it for a little over a month and there are still a crap load of things to learn but i'm getting there.

On a related note: I just started a new track in FL. So, it doesn't have to be an "either/or" type of thing. I use which ever one i feel like using at the time.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

It was refreshing to learn Ableton for me. After using a DAW for several years your regular DAW might feel more at home...but it also feels good to start learning stuff again. Idk I used FL before and certain things about it were counter intuitive for my workflow, I found things felt right once I got the swing of Ableton. I mean if you start out with FL you probably will be highly addicted to the step sequencer and feel like its a necessity to your workflow, but that was something big that separates the two. I never really liked how the patterns worked in FL...But I loved how scenes and clips worked in Ableton...Can have each clip unique...without being like pattern 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on. Every clip is contained and can loop as long as you want it to without throwing it in your overall song timeline. I wanna do a real deep comparison with screenshots...but I don't want it to seem very biased because its really all preference.
I agree and with this.

I started with FL and moved to Ableton which is awesome, but I'm now working my way, away from it. Personally I don't like some of the new progressions and I'm tired of pricey upgrades when I just want 1 or 2 of the new features on offer, but that's me.

Back