FL Studio (2 Mixer Questions)

SimonT

Can anyone help me.

On FL Studio 10, I've recorded a vocal directly onto the playlist, and now I want to assign it to a mixer channel. Been trying for ages and can't seem to do it. Looked up a couple of videos on You Tube and they just show how to link midi channels.

Also, how do I delete a mixer channel if I no longer want it.

Thanks!

EDIT - Also got 2 other questions.

1) How do I make the notes all the same length after recording a midi pattern in the piano roll.
2) I've recorded a midi bass line, and now when I play it, it is carrying on for another 4 bars after. Can't see how to stop it. I want it to loop straight after where I finished recording.

Last edited:
To your first, unnumbered question - on the timeline, double click the bold top of the vocal insert, located by the yellow star on the first image.
howtoaddtomixer.jpg

Doing so will open this panel. Click on the down arrow as shown then select the option marked by the yellow star.

howtoaddtomixer2.jpg

Boom. Done. Your vocal insert has now been added to your mixer. As for deleting mixer channels - you can't. It's as simple as that. At least, if you can, I haven't found out how to do it yet - and I've been trying to find out how for months and months. I think you can replace them, but you can't delete them. If you don't want it, just turn off the little green light and turn the volume down to zero. If you want you can hold ALT and use the left or right arrow keys to move it out of the way on the mixer.

For question 1), not entirely sure what you mean. You should be able to just open up the piano roll and edit the notes by mousing over the edge of each note to change your cursor into an arrow and then dragging.

For question 2), I think I might know the answer. Go into your piano roll and zoom in to the very last note of the pattern. Is that final note a tiny bit over the last line that would bring it into a new 4 bars? If so, the pattern will play an extra 4 bars because it thinks you want it too. Just make the last note a little smaller so it fits nicely inside of it's bar.

Hope this helps.

The answer to making the MIDI notes the same length is "discarding the MIDI length." Shift + D Reduces all selected note lengths to the minimum size allowed by the SNAP setting. From there you can highlight all of the MIDI notes, then hold the CTRL key, grab the end of one MIDI note and drag them all to desired length.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks Brendall that worked a treat.

As for the looping thing. Zane - no, no notes are going into a new 4 bars. I would've noticed something that obvious anyway but just checked, no. The circle thing is over on another 4 bars though?

Brendall - is there any way of making all the velocities the same length? not manually and guessing. On Reason you can draw a line across the top of the velocities and it sort of cuts them off. Anything similar?

Last edited:
Yes there is. You can either highlight all the MIDI notes you want to change (which will only change the velocity on these) or not (which will change velocity on all notes). Then in the graph-like section below the piano roll, I think the technical term is the "target control," you just start at the beginning, hold the right mouse button down, and drag across the velocity level you want your MIDI notes to be. This is very useful for things like creating a snare roll as well, where you basically start really low and as you drag across you also go up with the mouse i.e. kind of pushing the mouse up and away from you.

:edit: With your MIDI bassline, could there possibly be just the tiniest bit of a note that ends just ever so barely into the next bar? If you are all the way zoomed out that would be easy to overlook, if you are zoomed all the way in then you would have a better chance of noticing that. Use Page Up and Page Down to zoom in and out of the Piano Roll.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help Brendall. You're a legend.

Yes, I zoomed right in, and voila, 2 out of the 3 notes in the chord are slightly over into the next bar. Sorry for doubting haha! I can't seem to finely adjust it though. I need 1/64th note or something. How do I do this, or snap needs turning off.

I have another question for you. I'm recording audio to the metronome or click through headphones, straight to the playlist, and it's recording the click, why? I need the click on for tempo but tempted use a drum as a work around lol!

Cheers!

Last edited:
As for the velocities. That didn't quite work. They're only adjusting where the pencil is. I want them all (the exact same velocity) not drawing. Say you move the mouse up slightly as you're drawing the pencil from left to right, then one or more of the velocities will go up, get me?

Last edited:
You Have to select the paint brush tool in the piano roll to do multiple velocities. If you need you can always grab the divider between the Piano Roll and the Target Control and make the Target control section bigger allowing you to be more precise when changing the velocity. It takes some practice but when I do it I usually don't have a melody or bassline that's super long, so it's just a quick left to right motion with the mouse.

The metronome thing is rather simple, turn off the metronome when you want to do a playback and back on when you want to record.

Last edited:
Thanks mate.

Yeah the metronome was off. It was recorded in the audio for some reason on playback. How many undo's is there in FL. Doesn't seem to go back far to me, and is there an Undo Events List?

Last edited:
You can use undo as many times as you want, but you have to set the limit first. Hit F10 and it's under the "general" tab near the bottom of the page. Here you can also set the ability to undo knob tweaks.

Ahhh excellent. Actually I did see that on my travels. I will look into that though and the knob tweaks. Cheers!

Sorry, haven't been on FL in a week. Anyway, thanks brendall, great stuff. So is there an undo list?

I'm also not getting the quantizing very well. Might be because it's not in 16th / 1/4 notes or whatever,

This midi editing still giving me grief. I'm finding the quantizing weird, can't get it to move to the lines, and the notes won't snap to the edge of the lines. And the clip on playback is still carrying on instead of looping, and I've zoomed right in on the piano roll and playlist, nothing is going over into the 5th bar. I disarmed the record button and that seems to have stopped it. How come though I can't snap these notes to the lines no matter what I select in the snap drop down box?

Last edited:
I'm not super familiar with quantization as I don't use it because I feel it detracts from the "human touch" of what I do record MIDI wise.

The snap setting doesn't automatically change the trigger time of MIDI already in the piano roll. Only newly created ones and the ones you move around.

As for an undo list yes. In your project browser there is special folder named "Current Project," that holds information from the project you are working on. Things like a list of created patterns, automations, instruments, and an undo list.

Last edited:
Thank you brendall.

Yeah changing the trigger time is the main thing you want quantizing for in my opinion.

In other words, if one part is longer than the other, but you wanted to loop just the bit near the beginning for instance?

Back