FL keeps distorting the Kick and 808

jaggy89trillion

Hi Guys, I'm not sure If I'm posting this in the right place, but It seemed the most relevant place.

So getting into my issue, for months now I have dragging in a kick, boosting the velocity to max and the kick sounds nice and punchy, I would then drag in an 808, set it to default velocity, lower the volume and a bit and happy days the kick and 808 would sound cool together, just to had EQ etc. However over the last few days now, something strange has been happening. Whenever I do this same method now, the kick and 808 just heavily distorts when played together. I solo the kick and I can hear it distorting, I solo the 808 and I hear it distorting and as mentioned when played together they distort a lot. I don't understand why It has started to do this now though when it was never an issue before. I haven't changed any settings or anything either.

I installed Fl 12 thinking maybe my FL 11 was bugged out, but the same issues occurred in there. What makes it even weirder is that even If I lower the volume on my soundcard, I can still hear it distorting?. If anyone can help me out with this I'd be very grateful!. I'm currently on windows 10 which I know in itself is glitchy and buggy asf anyway

Are you side chaining the kick to the 808? If so, turn down the side chain volume for the kick on the 808 channel. The kick is basically playing twice and distorting.

Before whenever I would side chain a kick to the 808, it would automatically be muted, but now the volume is at 100. You just gotta remember to mute it.

Hope that is your issue and it is solved.

First of all, ...
Don't push anything over 0 dB. I know the volume faders go higher than 0 dB, but don't push them there. Anything over 0 dB will distort.

If that doesn't work,
Open a clean FL Studio project and bring the kick in. See if it works, if it's busted, it's a bad kick. ...or your headphones/speakers broke. (hopefully not)
also try listening to the kick on like windows media players (or itunes). Is it distorted there? If not, cool, it's okay. There's a setting (maybe a limiter or something) messed up within FL Studio, and it's carrying over into new projects.

but seriously look into the dB volume level mentioned first. Anything over 0 dB will definitely start distorting.

Last edited:
Back