FL 12 vs Cubase

STEFKEF

So it's time for me to get a new laptop and I've heard Macs are really good for production, plus I've always wanted one. Only problem is that I've been teaching myself FL Studio for the past 6 months (give or take) and have just recently seen an increase in my workflow. It finally feels like I'm starting to get the hang of it. However, as many of you probably know, FL Studio doesn't really work on Mac books. So, I looked at alternative DAWs I could use and Cubase is the one that has caught my eye.

So my question is:

Should I get a Mac and switch to Cubase, basically starting over with teaching myself a new program, or should I get a laptop that runs windows and stick with FL? (side note: I rarely ever use the step sequencer)

And if anyone has switched from another DAW to Cubase (or just switching DAWs in general), how long did it take to get your workflow going again? Was it worth it?

Last edited:
Forget about Cubase and get Studio One 3
Studio One is still playing catch up to Cubase which had a huge head start, I mean Cubase had it's comprehensive MIDI implementation sorted out way back when it was still on the Atari, Cubase established the layout of the modern DAW introduced ReWire and VST and had a strong emphasis on native processing and these are just some of the things the newer DAW developers have had to catch up on and many of them have cut corners to do so, this is why some modern DAWs can't handle SysEx or are missing basic stuff like a drum editor which allows users to change the input output routing of notes triggered by their MIDI controller and load up custom drum maps for example.

I don't see how anyone could not choose Cubase except for personal taste. It IS the Pioneer & leader in DAW innovation. You can't really go wrong and it gives you so much to get the job done. All the rest are catch-up's!

Do not joke about a daw having wait for midi, when I read that I went straight towards you lol
I am not joking I can do that in Cubase....like instead of assigning a single key or button to activate record it is possible to set up as many keys or buttons as you want to activate record meaning you can set them all up to activate record as in wait for MIDI, the only really significant difference being there is no button docked to the transport bar to toggle it on and off, instead what you have is a very tiny floating dialog box where you would scroll between MIDI wait off and MIDI wait on......as well as any other controller assignments you might want to switch over to.

Nvm cubase AI is the "taste of cubase" version of cubase so I do not have access to it. Sigh. Omfg the search for wait for midi is so simple, but impossibruuuu.
But then again it ain't that bad, cubase is actually pretty nice.

Last edited:
Nvm cubase AI is the "taste of cubase" version of cubase so I do not have access to it. Sigh. Omfg the search for wait for midi is so simple, but impossibruuuu.
But then again it ain't that bad, cubase is actually pretty nice.

What you have to do is go to the top of your screen and select Devices ---> Device Setup ---> Remote Devices....then go up to the top left hand corner and hit the + button, then select the Generic Remote and go from there......you can assign various buttons, keys, pads, pedals, knobs and faders to control Cubase.....for example assign a button on your keyboard to press record on the transport or if you really feel the need to have every key activate record on the transport you can do that too.....once you have created your remote control device it should show up under the Device menu and when you click it a tiny dialog box will open allowing you to switch controller banks so that you can use the same button or key etc to do more than one thing.......so if you wanted to assign every key to press (not toggle) the record button you would use the other bank to turn it off, so you would name one bank "on" and the other "off" or alternatively you might be able to just switch MIDI channels from your keyboard so you don't have to get up......but personally I would just assign some buttons to control the transport or whatever, perhaps a foot switch to punch in and out or something like that.

I can't punch in with the foot-pedal nearly as accurately as wait for midi. I also do not use precount in anything.
Hm...cubase not replacin s1 but it could replace...musescore at least. Ai might be able to do wait for midi, gonna look into it

Last edited:
I can't punch in with the foot-pedal nearly as accurately as wait for midi. I also do not use precount in anything.
Hm...cubase not replacin s1 but it could replace...musescore at least. Ai might be able to do wait for midi, gonna look into it

You don't have to use a foot pedal it just allows you to play along without tripping record until you want to punch in, something you can't really do with wait for MIDI (it's also useful if you are playing a guitar etc) but yeah like I said you can do wait for MIDI in Cubase....it just takes some effort to set up.

Went in generic remote, set device up with note 48 to trigger record and it works if midi note 48 is pressed more than once but that, I can't punch in like that lol so I'ma have to just keep usin s1 and reason.

And cubase is replacin musescore tho. Well, that's enough either way tbh. Just trying to figure out the least messy way of dealin with all of this lol.
Figured it out but I'll just deal with the regular way.

Well drop the FL, it'đ not worth it. Cubase is awesome, but you should try Logic or Ableton. These two are a way closer to FL, and you will learn them more quickly than cubase.

Here on my own Mac, i make use of cubase and i have a window system and i make use of FL 12, i used Cubase for voice recording only while i use FL studio for beat mixing, so i connect both the software output on my mixer and speaker and it is working great, also if you get a system with good spec like core i5, i7 with good ram, processor speed and Hard drive, i think you will be happy with your production job.

Back