Are expensive vsts worth it?

Whitelexluger

Ive been using fl studio along with free sound kits from the internet for over a month now. I was thinking about maybe coppin nexus or hypersonic or somethin like that. What I'm wondering is are they really worth it? Are the free sound kits just as good? Will my beats sound better if I use those vsts? Help me out. I'm allready pretty nice at making beats but as far as software and equipment goes I don't know sh*t.

Only practice will make your beats sound better. Probably not the answer you want to hear but it's the cold hard truth. But as far as VSTs go, you really can't go wrong with anything from Native Instruments or FabFilter. I own lots of products from both of those companies and I love them. Do I need them? No. But they help. Depending on your DAW you can get by with everything that came with it. You really don't need much outside of Cubase or Logic Pro if you know what you're doing.

Last edited:
Expensive plugins & hoping for a magic cure-it-all = not gonna happen. Expensive plugins when you know what to do with them and why they're better than your stock ones = worth it.

^ the two above me, wow awesome answers/replies. Just made me realize I haz a lot to learn.
Much respect :)

there's amazing music made with stock plugins where the composer/producer/musician learned everything about their chosen software and applied that knowledge.

there's ear-bleeding awful music made with high dollar plugins by guys that figured that buying them would somehow transform them into hit-makers.

The real question is this: Are you committed enough to your craft to learn everything there is to know about the synths and fx that are included with your chosen DAW as well as any others you happen to pick up along the way, or are you the type seeking a band-aid, something to fix your music because you lack the skill or dedication necessary to turn out listen-able music?

look for free presets for stock FL Studio VST like for harmless,Sytrus,ect.
and google soundfonts
I suggest paying the $35 for FL Studio's Soundfont player
I haven't found another soundfont player that works as great as the FL Studio soundfont player

-Coach Antonio

look for free presets for stock FL Studio VST like for harmless,Sytrus,ect.
and google soundfonts
I suggest paying the $35 for FL Studio's Soundfont player
I haven't found another soundfont player that works as great as the FL Studio soundfont player

nah fam, SFZ+ Professional by rgc:audio is the best soundfont playback VST.

SFZ.png

And best of all, it's free

Cakewalk - SFZ+ Professional

cop that and tell me it ain't the best...

Attachments

• SFZ.png
    SFZ.png
    399.1 KB · Views: 243
some are worth it, and its good to start learning the interface of synths especially when starting out

but until you are well versed in your stock plugs and the basics of synthesis/sound design/mixdown just focus on learning your DAW native instruments and effects

nah fam, SFZ+ Professional by rgc:audio is the best soundfont playback VST.

SFZ.png

And best of all, it's free

Cakewalk - SFZ+ Professional

cop that and tell me it ain't the best...

I had better success with
the also free
SafFron SE soundfont player
I couldn't get any soundfonts to play in
Cake's free soundfont play
made a account and all but no play back at all
maybe I was doing something wrong
but SafFron SE is good to me
but FL Studio Soundfont player is best in my opinion
because of the drag and drop feature
no searching through a directories
I sure it's a great product the Cake Soundfont player

-Coach Antonio

Despite the fact that a lot of expensive VST's have some brilliant samples and features, a lot of sounds can still be achieved with practise! Learn how to use your program and master the art! :)

Freeware is really usable right now. That said some of the more expensive vsts are really good but they will not make or break your music. Its all a matter of taste for the most part and if you want great sounds from the start I would say yes spend some money. The main things I personally avoid in terms of freeware are drums. I have yet to find a really good free drum kit online. I know someone will bring up the Boi1da kits but I don't like those kits. Way too much clipping for my own use.

The foundation of quality beats is what?!??!?! oh my god its quality sounds no way.....

lol for real though the better sounds you have the more potential you have to make a good beat. The best musician in the world is still gonna make a relatively shitty beat if all he or she has is crappy soundfonts and weak drums

Back