Downloading Free Vsts

Ebss

So. I'm downloading free vsts that are legimate plug-ins and trying to import it onto my DAW which is FL Studio..

Problem is, when I open up FL.. refresh my list of Fruity Generators and confirm it's existence.. I have the software popping up the message "sorry this file cannot be found or open"..

I wonder, am I putting files in FL correctly? All I have show is an Application Extension of the file but don't know where to place it, so I put it with the folders of all the pre-set generators.

Is there a problem i'm missing here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Well with a pc,
  • you go to your programs folder,
  • inside that you will find a folder called common files.
  • inside that you create a folder and call it VSTs.
  • Now all dll's for unrelated vsts (those that didn't ship with your daw or other purchases) should be put in here.
  • Restart FL
  • Get it to scan the common files folder so that it picks up the "new" vsts
  • Play to your hearts content

With a mac, I have no clue where you might store common files (probably similar directory structure knowing older mac os's (I go back as far as OS9.1)) and they don't use vsts (mostly) instead using au's

u need to install your plugins to the Plugins\VST folder in FL. if it has exe setup use that, if not just drag all the vst info in.

open FL and do this:

for VSTi [instrument]
Channels > Add One > More..
go to end of new window and select Refresh [recommended]
find the new vst,tick the F in the box double click the name.

for VST [effect]
go to the mixer and in the slots numbered 1-8 u see a small arrow.
press it and Select > More..
then scan like above and follow same method.

vst should now load and be saved on the list.

You can do it that way but then you limit what other programs can use those vsts. Which is why I gave the more generic yet more empowering advice above.

You can put vsts anywhere. They're just DLLs. So long as the things you are hosting them in know where they are. DAWs can only access them in one place for some reason... maybe to stop cross domain hacking.

VSTs sometimes have dependencies. Like presets, data files or licenses. But usually these come with an installer that places the vst DLL where-ever you tell it to and connects up all the dependencies for you. Most simple VSTs are literally just a DLL (and maybe some other data files) you can drag and drop wherever you want and need no registry edits. To be honest, in many cases the installers just install crap you don't need, like links to nonsense in your start menu and unnecessary registry entries.

For it to say specifically that it can't load the file implies it has found it, which means it's in the right place at least. This type of warning is more associated with a license error or a missing file or bad format.

Free VSTs are often ropey. Maybe it doesn't support your OS.

Back